Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours?

/ Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours? #1  

Elkins45

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
My Kubota L3800 will be 10 years old this fall and will probably hit around 220 hours. The manual says the hydro fluid is supposed to be replaced at 400 hours, but that’s a long way down the road given my rate of usage. I’m thinking it might be a reasonable thing to go ahead and replace it at 10 years just as a preventative measure. The first fluid change would probably last the rest of my life anyway.

/ Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours? #2  
My Kubota L3800 will be 10 years old this fall and will probably hit around 220 hours. The manual says the hydro fluid is supposed to be replaced at 400 hours, but that’s a long way down the road given my rate of usage. I’m thinking it might be a reasonable thing to go ahead and replace it at 10 years just as a preventative measure. The first fluid change would probably last the rest of my life anyway.

Last edited:
   / Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours? #3  
t won't hurt anything to do so. No oil lasts forever and they do break down over time as well. Don't go cheap on the quality of the oil. Change the filter too. Does the dealer have a kit for this??

/ Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours? #4  
Get Kubota super utd2 and 2 filters, HST and Hydraulic....

/ Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours?
   / Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours? #6  
   / Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours? #7  
I do neither. I'll pull a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs and have them tell me if it needs renewed. Your gear trans still has at least one filter because the transmission fluid is the hydraulic fluid as well.

/ Replace hydraulic fluid based on time, not hours? #8  
Do you keep the tractor in a garage? or outside? It surely will not hurt anything (other than your wallet) to change it. If it was HST, I would worry more about the oil but since it's gear, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Have you checked your front axle oil level? Back in the day, they were usually very low on oil from the factory and unless you had a great dealer... it remained very low!