Replace center lift with swivel lift on angled trailer.

/ Replace center lift with swivel lift on angled trailer. #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
That create a picture?
It is an aluminum trailer, 3500 lb range. The forward beams combine at an standard angle, with an angled hitch attached. There is a centered hole there that accepts a similar triangle flange with a lift poked through. It never raises enough to really get out of the way for curbs and such.

So I got a nice swivel lift that attaches to one of the beams.

Got it on (with my no-attachments) tractor on near the center of the beam, and the beam rotates enough to throw the lift angle way off.

I need to devise a tension member at the bottom of beam (to prevent rotation out), and a compression member at the top (to prevent rotation in).
Anything across the two will intersect them at an angle, and if not welded, will probably move forward over time.
I believe I need to buy say, 2 feet of similar beam, notch short flange so remaining wide flange fits into existing beams, and weld ONLY the inside edge short flange to other short flange where they meet (to protect the load bearing wide flange from holes or heat).
Better idea?

Trailer weld.jpg

THX all.

Last edited:
   / Replace center lift with swivel lift on angled trailer. #2  
I am not TOTALLY confused but I am a LOT confused here.

Maybe a couple pictures would help.

/ Replace center lift with swivel lift on angled trailer. #3  
I'm thinking that the OP wants to replace his center mounted trailer jack with one that will swivel up out of the way for more ground clearance. When the new jack is installed on one of the frame rails mid way between trailer and ball, the rail will twist under load. The OP is trying to tie both frame rails together to eliminate the twist. The OP is asking how to weld the connecting brace in place without compromising the strength of the rails.

/ Replace center lift with swivel lift on angled trailer.
I'm thinking buy exactly same C channel.
Remove 1 1/2 inches of short side top and bottom on each end, so wide web will sit inside existing C channel on both sides. Then weld only where short side of channel touch each other.
Thinking any holes, or heat, on existing beam wide section will harm strength.