Repaired broken stabilizer arm

/ Repaired broken stabilizer arm #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Was going through some of the pics on my phone and came across these and I realized I dont think I ever posted them.

This was about 2 months or so ago on dads Ford 4500. Was digging out trees when this happened. Made a quickie repair to get back to work. HAd to use chain and binders to pull it back together and then burn it in hot with multiple passes with the mig. Used it hard finishing clearing out the fencerow and holding just fine.

IMG_20151016_132621593.jpgIMG_20151016_135958129.jpgIMG_20151016_141507037.jpgIMG_20151016_141511966.jpgIMG_20151016_141518158.jpg

/ Repaired broken stabilizer arm #2  
over extension, or did it have some decay on the inside?

looks like it mights seen some side force too. :)

/ Repaired broken stabilizer arm
Not over extension. Cylinder can fully extend and not hurt the stabilizer. The cylinder bottoms out before the arm runs out of travel.

Just lots or years of working the hoe. Was clearing the fence row so lots of prying up on roots putting lots of downward pressure as opposed to the normal pulling forces. It had previously been repaired there too.

/ Repaired broken stabilizer arm #5  
That machine is around 50 years old. I'd think that its entitled to some fatigue. It looks like the fatigue is cured for some time.

/ Repaired broken stabilizer arm #6  
Yup, and heck, the old repair might not have even been all that good.

This one looks like it should last.

/ Repaired broken stabilizer arm
you can kinda see what was left of the old repair in the first pic. Lots of rust over it, couldnt really tell a whole lot from the outside, but looking inside the fracture, the previous repair wasnt that great. But it did hold for quite some time. We have put several hundred hours on the machine since dad bought it, and who knows how long ago the repair was made.

/ Repaired broken stabilizer arm #8  
yup.. it look buble gummed up or chicken with an intentinal infection.