Rentals getting a bit crazy

/ Rentals getting a bit crazy #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
I was just doing some quick searching, looking to see if a compact drill/seeder was available for rent; and ended up on Sunbelt Rentals lawn/garden equipment rental page. Who is renting a wheel barrow for $16/day; or renting a gas can for $3/day? They even had a push mower for like $31 per day... It's not really the rental fees I'm laughing at, but really, who rents a gas can?
Screenshot_20230913_124712_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230913_124704_Chrome.jpg

/ Rentals getting a bit crazy #2  
I was thinking maybe an apartment dweller wouldn't own a gas can , but why would they rent any of this?

/ Rentals getting a bit crazy #4  
I've rented little piddly stuff like that before. I bet the thought is that the person who rents the mower will probably need a gas can and instead of giving one with the rental why not make a few extra buck off them.

If you only need a saw once and don't have someone to borrow it from, rent it. Makes sense to me.

/ Rentals getting a bit crazy #5  
Could be someone with low cash flow that got hired for a job that needs things they don't own. Those things cost more than you think to buy, too.

Rent for a job, get paid, eventually build up enough to buy your own.

/ Rentals getting a bit crazy #6  
Around here some of the rental shops are also lawn and garden stores so I could see renting a fertilizer spreader if buying fertilizer or possibly a wheel barrow for a load of mulch. No need to store or maintain either one. Chain saws always surprised me since who takes liability when unskilled operator gets hurt. With chain saw who keeps two stroke gas on-hand so there is gas can rental or now maybe buy premix.

different strokes for different folks..

/ Rentals getting a bit crazy #7  
If you’re renting a gas powered tool it’s not unreasonable to want a gas can to go with it. A basic wheel barrel like the picture cost about the same as the metal gas can. Why does the wheel barrel cost over 5x as much to rent?

Last edited:
   / Rentals getting a bit crazy #8  
Just had a wood stove installed in March. Borrowed a friends wood splitter. He insisted... Used it for a couple of days to split 4 cords or so.
In need of one again, but I hate borrowing. Borrow one twice you need to buy. Problem is, don't think I can justify $1500 or so for a new one. Used are like gold according to asking price. I can rent for $75 a day. Sure, I have to commit to a day, but I can deal with that. Take a few years to break even....
I changed the oil on the borrowed splitter, and bought a hydraulic filter for it. Almost like renting I suppose.

/ Rentals getting a bit crazy #9  
Just had a wood stove installed in March. Borrowed a friends wood splitter. He insisted... Used it for a couple of days to split 4 cords or so.
In need of one again, but I hate borrowing. Borrow one twice you need to buy. Problem is, don't think I can justify $1500 or so for a new one. Used are like gold according to asking price. I can rent for $75 a day. Sure, I have to commit to a day, but I can deal with that. Take a few years to break even....
I changed the oil on the borrowed splitter, and bought a hydraulic filter for it. Almost like renting I suppose.

My uncle rented a processor for $425 for the weekend and his cousin paid half and used it the second day. I thought he got a good value getting enough wood for 2 years cut and split for $212.50.
IMG_5581.JPG