Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #21  
Save others from reading thread.The asphalt company recommendation was replace due to damage. Dawn was also listed

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #22  
I've had 2 separate transmission leaks on 2 different driveways of mine. Both resulted in the asphalt slowly being eaten away. The last one, I poured used oil on it after cleaning the best I could. I hoped it would keep the oil more prominent in that area. Now there is an oil stain, but it seems to have slowed down the damage. But this isn't a customer driveway, and I wasn't worried about appearance.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway
This is not typical “red mercon” type transmission fluid. I’d say it’s actually more hydraulic fluid than anything.
I’m not saying thats any “easier” on the asphalt. Just clarifying it’s not truck automatic transmission fluid.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #24  
"There is one positive. Asphalt is held together with oil. (sort of) Since you spilled oil on the driveway which is already made of oil, you don't have to worry about it causing any damage" from that other thread.... not all advice on the 'net is well thought out or correct...

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #25  
So, I'm not pushing you into one thing or another; if this was a road or paving job, 100% we could have them cut the about 5x5 ft area in picture no1, remove and replace. It wouldn't even be a discussion.

So, that's expensive; so the back up, not really good option, some light torching, some clean sand, and a push broom. You lightly heat the entire area (you don't want to burn the AC out of it; But AC is at the bottom of a frack tower; it is less volatile than about any other petroleum product, and the oil/fuel/hydralic, whatever should evaporate at a lower temp than the AC); once the area is warm to hot, sweep the clean sand over the affected area, a couple times, then clean the sand up once everything is cold. Don't get a loop rake and work the area up, that will be really noticeable.

Some damage Has been done to the AC, but we probably are talking about the upper 1/4", and I wouldnt say you have ruined the asphalt completely. The sand will kinda blend the appearance.

Seal coating... not a fan; it doesn't really address any actual issue in the asphalt, it basically just paints the surface. There are seal coat products that claim they get absorbed, but I don't really understand how that works;

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #26  
Ideally, you would evenly heat the affected area (the spill, not so much the dribbles) to around 350 degrees F, for a few minutes, which would basically evaporate everything petroleum based except the AC. That's not really possible with a torch, as the flame is 3600 degrees, and it's going to take a while to warm the entire area. Practically what that means, is work in a sweeping motion with the torch, moving the heat around, and trying to slowly bring up the temp of the top 1/4" as evenly as possible, without burning the heck out of just the surface
Screenshot_20231206_070824_Google.jpg

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway
I do have a weed torch and a full tank of propane.

There’s no large concentrated “spill” area.

Its an evenly distributed light-moderate “trail” of hydraulic oil

Last edited:
   / Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #28  
I have used this to remove oil from my concrete (spilled a bunch of used oil while changing the oil on the truck.) It worked GREAT. I dilute it in a bucket a bit and apply it with a stiff bristled broom to the oily areas. I let it sit for a bit then blast it off with a pressure washer.

1701877048114.png

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #29  
It is easy to damage the asphalt by overheating. Be very careful if you go that route.
There are many different sealers and surface treatments for asphalt ranging from paints to asphaltines. Not sure if the better sealers can be bought noncommercially.
what is property owner saying. Will he be happy with cleaning and discount on work

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #30  
This is not typical “red mercon” type transmission fluid. I’d say it’s actually more hydraulic fluid than anything.
I’m not saying thats any “easier” on the asphalt. Just clarifying it’s not truck automatic transmission fluid.
Oh, I just assumed red transmission fluid... I'd say that's a relief then. Haha. That stuff is nasty on asphalt.