Removing Gravel From Grass After Snow Pushing

/ Removing Gravel From Grass After Snow Pushing #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
For those of you needing to pull gravel out of grass when the snow melts:

My neighbor asked me to help him clean up a mess at a low income housing complex that he oversees. Someone had pushed snow, crushed asphalt and gravel off of a bunch of rear parking drives. Huge piles of mostly the asphalt were left in the grass that needed to be raked back onto the parking areas.
ASPHALT-RAKE-1.jpg
I was impressed with how well the 3PH landscape rake worked as the picture shows. Mine has gauge wheels on the back so depth can be controlled with the hydraulic top link but I'm thinking that it would work as well without the gauge wheels for this application. I do think that dry conditions might be the key to not tearing out the grass and this appeared to be buffalo or bermuda grass so its fairly tough turf.

/ Removing Gravel From Grass After Snow Pushing #2  
I use a York rake with trolley wheels and a T&T kit. It's particularly useful on slopes. Without the wheels, it's difficult to keep from tearing up the grass.

P1050633a.jpg
P1050632a.jpg

/ Removing Gravel From Grass After Snow Pushing
   / Removing Gravel From Grass After Snow Pushing #4  
The York rake is very similar to mine including the gauge wheels but yours is much wider. Looks like about an eight footer?
Yes, it's an 8 footer. I needed one that wide so that at full angle, it's wider than the track width.

/ Removing Gravel From Grass After Snow Pushing #5  
Rotary brooms are insanely good for cleaning rock and debris out of grass. you can even dethatch yards with em.

/ Removing Gravel From Grass After Snow Pushing #6  
I use a landscape rake every year to remove the gravel from the grass works great.

Before I had my tractor I used to rent a walk behind rotary broom it did a amazing job. Just can be a little dusty

/ Removing Gravel From Grass After Snow Pushing #7  
My driveway starts right where my lawn ends. So - never a problem with gravel on the lawn.

However - I learned, real quick, plowing snow when the gravel driveway isn't frozen solid can result in gravel in the ditches. I can pull it back up with the rear blade - offset and angled. That can become somewhat of a PITA. Requires use of the LPGS also.

Occasionally I will have to plow snow before the driveway is frozen hard. I reverse the rear blade and go like smoke and oakum. Gravel stays right where it is.