Removing broken PTO shaft?

/ Removing broken PTO shaft? #1  

johnking

Silver Member
Tractor
1965 Massey 135
Broke the PTO shaft, both inner and outer(the outter shaft was rubbing on the top of the bushog and wore through) . I got new tubing from Aggri Supply. I removed the roll pin and am having trouble getting the broken shaft out of the U joitnt attatchment. What is the best way to get it out? Also how much overlap do I want of the inner and outer tubes?

/ Removing broken PTO shaft? #2  
Well a press is the best thing to press out the old tube and press the new one in. But a torch can be used too, just have to be very careful not to over heat the u joint if you don't remove it. I just replace both halves on the 8 foot cutter I just bought, I didn't have a press at work so I just cut the old shaft off next to the yoke, then cut the tube that was inside the yoke with a torch and it fell out, I then heated the yoke pretty hot and placed the tube into the yoke, set the yoke on a 2x6 on the floor and hammered the tube in. You also have to be careful not to damage the tube end with the hammer if you do it this way. If I could have done this at home I would have removed the yoke from the ujoint and used the press to remove and replace. As for overlap most say at least 6" at minimum, I try to get as much as possible , while keeping enough slip to be able to remove the coupler from the pto shaft on the tractor, and not have any issues with the shaft bottoming out while hooked up.

/ Removing broken PTO shaft? #3  
I recommend using a torch to remove old shaft. To utilize a press one would need to disassemble u-joint and reassembly of u-joint cross & brg caps is a pita. There's a U-tube video explaining correct pto shaft length measuring procedure.

/ Removing broken PTO shaft? #4  
Bumping the thread for the same problem.

Cut my tube off @ the u-joint, then tried a weld bead inside the tube to shrink it. That was a waste of time and caused some issues.

Then had to slit the tube and hammer it out.

How in the heck am I supposed to get the new one in? 39", I can cut it shorter. There seems to be significant interference between the yoke and the tube....