Removing a culvert, but plumbing has to stay

/ Removing a culvert, but plumbing has to stay #1  

SouthernSky

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota L3200DT
I have a center ditch between my two properties that runs from one property to the other boundary. It was a natural drainage path that takes the water from a wide highway frontage, passes it through my land, and on to a pond 1/2 mile away. The state said that if I blocked it they would sue me because I’d restrict the water from the flow that was there before I built.

So about 15 years ago I dropped a couple 24” culverts in it and made a driveway across to access both properties by vehicle. When I laid them, the water and phone line were put under the road surface above the culverts. The meter is on one side of the ditch, the house the other (long story but still needed).

It has eroded significantly over the last 15 years and the ditch got deeper and wider. It’s about 10’ wide now and 6-7’ deep due to sheer water volume charging through.

Now I want to separate the properties for new owners. I’m not so worried about the phone (it’s a cellular world) but how do you run a pipe under a ditch? I have limited space, and if I leave it high the pipe is liable to get knocked out by large limbs and other trash that comes down.

Suggestions? I can’t reroute without crossing the ditch somewhere.

/ Removing a culvert, but plumbing has to stay #2  
Why don’t you burry it as deep as possible and if erosion is likely concrete fill it.

/ Removing a culvert, but plumbing has to stay #3  
Directional drilling can dive and surface under the ditch. Or armor the ditch banks with riprap rock

/ Removing a culvert, but plumbing has to stay
Why don’t you burry it as deep as possible and if erosion is likely concrete fill it.

My concern is I only have a few feet on each side to play with. I can’t run a long v-shaped pipe. I’d have to have a lot of bends to get under it, and I’d have to set it with rushing water.

I was hoping someone had done it before and could suggest how to run piping. Likely one I can run the phone line, maybe gas as well.

/ Removing a culvert, but plumbing has to stay #6  
Some pictures would be nice. I am having a hard time envisioning how you have a 6' deep ditch with a 24" culvert.

Why take it out at all? If you don't need or want a drive between the two properties, just quit using it or put up a fence. Unless the buyer is specifically insisting you take it out, I wouldn't bother. It is there, he is buying, let him decide how to deal with it.

It sounds like you may have some utility feeds, (water, gas, and phone) crossing the property you are selling that feed your property. Make sure you include some legally correct easements that allow you access to maintain those lines.

We have a mess in my area where gas service lines changed from owner responsibility to utility responsibility. Due to oversight by the utility board (not grandfathering in the old lines) some homeowners may lose gas service if new owners don't grant easements.

Doug in SW IA

/ Removing a culvert, but plumbing has to stay #7  
^^^^^^ That right there.

I'm still trying to figure out why the utilities have to come from your property. :confused3:

/ Removing a culvert, but plumbing has to stay
It was after dark when I wrote the post. I’ll get pictures later.

The culverts are laid side by side. They were available cheap. A single 36” might have been better.

Easements were already in the plan. I have to remove it because any more erosion will cause a collapse and the line between the properties is straight down the centerline of the ditch.

image-2021-01-28-09:11:10-479.jpg

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

(4) Drill Presses - (3) Rockwell/Delta & (1) Walker Turner (A33349)
(4) Drill Presses...
Massey Ferguson 175 (A33526)
Massey Ferguson...
Conibear Spreader (A33526)
Conibear Spreader...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
TMG 3PT HITCH WOOD CHIPPER (A32908)
TMG 3PT HITCH WOOD...
Pallet of (11) Assorted Come-a-Longs (A33349)
Pallet of (11)...