remove chrome job?

/ remove chrome job? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
is there a non destructive process to de-chrome a metal part (s) that have been chromed?

/ remove chrome job? #2  
Sound I know people that restore autos have bumpers and other chrome parts re-chromed but am not familiar with the process. You may check the yellow pages for a plating shop in your area and touch base with them.

/ remove chrome job? #3  
Generally a plating company sand blasts old chrome off before replating. Sometimes they don't use sand if the metal is thin or they're worried about the destructive capabilities of sand on the surfaces they're working with. What they use in those cases I'm not sure, but it's just a gentler blasting media than sand.

/ remove chrome job? #4  
Soundguy, We sand blast it off, but you do have to careful depending on the pressure your using and the finish you are wanting. What kind of parts do you have?

/ remove chrome job? #5  
Just remember when you re-plate the plating will show any surface texture that is added from a mechanical removal of the original plating.

/ remove chrome job? #6  
Just remember when you re-plate the plating will show any surface texture that is added from a mechanical removal of the original plating.

Thick plating and lots of buffing :D

Good tip though. Any plated surface should be as perfect as it can be made before the plating process.

/ remove chrome job? #7  
fine grit media and take your time so you don't rough up the substrate more than what you want the final finish to be. Otherwise you are in for a lot of prep work as sysop mentioned.

/ remove chrome job? #8  
is there a non destructive process to de-chrome a metal part (s) that have been chromed?

Best way I know of is to take it to a plating shop. They can de-plate it just as easily as they can plate it and you won't have any imperfections in it when you're done VS grinding, sanding, etc....

/ remove chrome job?
i'm thinking electrolysis may be the safest way. after it is deplated.. I will want to get eh metal blued or blacked... so blasting and sanding may be 100% out of the question

/ remove chrome job? #10  
If memory serves me correctly, the best Chrome work involves dipping in a Copper Sulfate tank before plating. Back in 1973 after my tour of duty, I built a Panhead Chopper and sent the parts to Brown's Custom Plating in Paducah, Ky. They used this process. The cheaper chrome jobs-China- IMHO would be easier to remove. Just my thoughts. Best wishes.