Remote starter for RTV1140

/ Remote starter for RTV1140 #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
My RTV1140 sits under my deck. I want to start it from the house and let it warm up before I go out and drive it. It won't start unless it's in neutral and I always pull the emergency brake up when I stop it to keep it from moving. So, when I start it remotely it will just sit there until I come and release the emergency brake and put it in gear. Yes, I might forget it's running but even if I do it will eventually run out of fuel and stop. Could the grandkids get on it, pull the emergency brake off and put it in gear? No, they aren't strong enough to push the button in the end of the emergency brake while lifting it up to disengage the emergency brake and they won't be here when I do the remote start. This is sort of like putting safety warning stickers on the tractor to head off the comments of how unsafe it will be for me to put a remote starter on a RTV.
Any way, I am interested in a simple remote start button to start a keyed RTV. To start it now, turn key, no stop for glow plugs, just turn the key. Anyone done it? Anyone know where to get a simple remote starter?

/ Remote starter for RTV1140 #3  
They do make remote start units specifically for diesels...they have a pre programmed dwell for your glow plugs. I think it could be done fairly easy on an RTV but I've never tried it. The only issue I would have is the potential of an accidental start when servicing the unit. In place of the hood pin switch I would put a toggle switch so you can easily disable the remote start.

/ Remote starter for RTV1140 #4  
I think you would need one that would operate glow plugs also.If you ever want to start it when cold out it would be hard without this feature.

/ Remote starter for RTV1140 #5  
John...I'd say that you'd want a diesel specific remote starter with a timer. I don't believe that diesels nowadays are supposed to idle for excessive amouts of time...10 minutes is plenty for warm up.

Besides, given the fuel economy that my RTV1100 shows, it could idle for an entire weekend before it ran out of fuel.

/ Remote starter for RTV1140
John...I'd say that you'd want a diesel specific remote starter with a timer. I don't believe that diesels nowadays are supposed to idle for excessive amouts of time...10 minutes is plenty for warm up.

Besides, given the fuel economy that my RTV1100 shows, it could idle for an entire weekend before it ran out of fuel.

About the diesel part. My tractors have a first click with key for glow plugs then the second click for the starter engage. My RTV1140 has one click from off to start. Does yours have that first glow plug position then the second start position?
Mine has started with it cold out on the second or third hit every time. I won't be letting it run for over ten minutes. If it starts when I have the hood up and it in gear and the remote hanging on the wall in the house then that would probably be considered an act of God.
I guess no one has a remote starter on their Kubota RTV Diesel?

/ Remote starter for RTV1140 #7  
About the diesel part. My tractors have a first click with key for glow plugs then the second click for the starter engage. My RTV1140 has one click from off to start. Does yours have that first glow plug position then the second start position?
Mine has started with it cold out on the second or third hit every time. I won't be letting it run for over ten minutes. If it starts when I have the hood up and it in gear and the remote hanging on the wall in the house then that would probably be considered an act of God.

Mine has the resitance part of the ignition switch that ignites the glow plugs..Full manual for that.

/ Remote starter for RTV1140 #8  
I have a diesel Hummer that I put a remote starter on and in its setup you had a choice of 5,10,15 second delay before you started it up to allow the glow plugs to fire up first. After that timed out the truck would start. If, for some reason it didn't start up, it would try again about a minute later. The truck would run for 15 minutes and then shut down. You would lock the truck up and when you got in it , you would put the key in and turn it on and touch the brake and then it would be out of the remote mode. If you did not put the key in and hit the brake, it would stop.
The remote also had a screen on it that let you know the truck started and had a range of about 1000 feet.
Randy

/ Remote starter for RTV1140 #9  
The system that I have on the RTV was amde up by a guy on eBay. It consisted of a relay board and a remote control. The first relay was latching where you had to press the button once to turn on and once again to turn off. The second relay was mometary and ran the glow plugs, as long as it was pressed it would energize the relay. The third relay was for cranking the starter and it was also mometary. To use the system RTV had to be parked with no key needed brakes set and in neutral. Once running and warmed up just put the key in the ignition and turn on and then press the button on remote to turn off the relay on the board. The guy was selling them in the $40-$50 range, not sure if he has any more but the install was easy, just had to connect wires to back of igniton switch and then connect ground wire. It was simple and not complicated like the car ones with all the interlocks and complications needed for security,(screwdriver in right place starts the RTV anyway).

David Kb7uns

/ Remote starter for RTV1140
Confused.:confused: My wife is making seat covers (padded) for my RTV1140 so she wanted me to being it around to the garage. Surprise, surprise It now has the first stop for glow plugs just like my tractors and then next stop to engage starter. Someone must have sneaked around and changed it while I had it parked.:confused::)
Can't find the one on Ebay but will check back from time to time.