Remote propane block heater install.

/ Remote propane block heater install. #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
Last year, while while cutting firewood, we decided to leave the tractor in the swamp overnight to save on fuel and time. The weather was very nice for that time of year, as temperatures were in the mid 20's, so we felt the engine would fire up after a few tries. Luck was on our side, as it started, but it certainly didn't like it. Knowing how Minnesota winters are, and knowing most of the time, there was no way the tractor would have started without being plugged in, I decided an alternate solution was needed for such an occasion.

My uncle, who was with, said he had an old propane block heater in his basement for the last 20 years that he had meant to rebuild and install on one of his tractors but never got around to it. He wasn't really interested in selling it, but couldn't stand to see it unused any longer, so he said we could "probably do a long term borrow."

My dad's eyes perked up at the thought of another retirement project to challenge his considerable skills, so we took the offer and went to work. The heater was rusty and had a few holes that needed filling. A few hours with a wire brush and little brazing, add a few coats of black stove paint.and it's good as new. My dad also added a piezoelectric igniter to top it off. We then gathered bits and pieces of copper plumbing, heater hose and hydraulic quick couplers and went to work on the tractor.

Since the tractor already has an electric block heater, we inserted the quick connects between the electric heater and the engine block. Normally, the propane heater will be completely disconnected from the tractor, as the electric heater works just fine and will be completely unaffected. When we need to use the propane heater, we just hook it up, put a modified vise-grip on the hose between the two heaters to keep the coolant flowing in the proper direction and, VIOLA! Remote engine heat!

Joe

Attachments

• 1030111354a.jpg
    1030111354a.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 1,845
  • 1030111527.jpg
    1030111527.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 2,076
  • 1030111546.jpg
    1030111546.jpg
    762.4 KB · Views: 2,000
  • 1030111548a.jpg
    1030111548a.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 1,352
  • 1030111621.jpg
    1030111621.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 3,533
   / Remote propane block heater install. #2  
Well, I have never heard of a propane block heater before. That is exactly what I need for my Case crawler I use in the woods. Nice setup...well done...it looks like brand new. :thumbsup:

/ Remote propane block heater install.
Well, I have never heard of a propane block heater before. That is exactly what I need for my Case crawler I use in the woods. Nice setup...well done...it looks like brand new. :thumbsup:
Thanks! I believe it was originally made so it could be mounted directly to the tractor, but I wanted something that could conceivably be used on different vehicles if needed. Besides, I didn't really have room to mount it where it was accessible, yet wouldn't get damaged. Scrap re-bar was used to make the tripod base for a more mobile unit.

Laser temperature probing revealed about 170-180f readings on the surface of the hot line. That should do the job.

Joe

/ Remote propane block heater install. #4  
very cool. I have heard of some loggers using their pick-up's coolant and attaching lines to their skidders, dozers, etc to warm them up but this seems way more convenient..I didnt even know such a bast existed but will keep an eye out for used ones in the future..good job and good post!

/ Remote propane block heater install. #5  
Nice set up. What circulates the water.
Bill

/ Remote propane block heater install.
Nice set up. What circulates the water.
Bill
Convection. The hot hose is higher than the cold. As the water heats, it rises. Eventually it makes the full circuit. Not the quickest way to circulate, but it works when there is no electricity. It helps to keep the hot hose supported by the front tire and the return hose lower, thus aiding in the flow. I'll use the electric heater when I'm close to an outlet, as it's a bit faster.

Joe

/ Remote propane block heater install. #7  
They are very common in the aviation world.. Every beaver I own has one that goes out with the plane in the winter. The only issue we have found is there can be a corrosion issue with the condensation and heat from burning propane....

/ Remote propane block heater install. #8  
Slick idea. One suggestion tho, I don't think those quick connects will last long being steel, they'll rust up and either leak or seize up, have a look for brass ones made for water.....Mike

/ Remote propane block heater install. #9  
It gets the job done. Espar makes diesel fired block heaters as well. Can be plumbed into the tractor's fuel tank and is completely self-contained. I personally have one of those small inverter type generators... I find it easier to just take the generator out there and use it to power the electric block heater.