Remote Controlled Light?

/ Remote Controlled Light? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am looking for suggestions on how to turn on an outside light at my barn from my house, which is about 300' away. There isn't any wiring running between the two. Is there such a thing as a remote controlled light?

/ Remote Controlled Light?
Yup, get hold of one of the remote control units for Christmas lights all the home centers push this time of year.

/ Remote Controlled Light? #3  
Would a dusk to dawn attachment work?

tractor.gif

/ Remote Controlled Light? #4  
I've had good luck with X-10 hardware (available here) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Remote Controlled Light? #6  
I have one that I got at Menards last year that has a switch at the house that is on a remote control located in the barn. I can turn the light on from the house and the barn lights come on. It was about $30 though.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Remote Controlled Light? #7  
X10 is great stuff. I use it for all sorts of things. The starter kit called Active Home is $49.00. And get the $49.00 surplus kit that has 3 lamp modules, 3 appliance modules, 3 wall switches and 3 key chain remotes. Can't beat it. It's great for holiday lighting. For instance, at Christmas, I have two trees out front, several strings out back and a snowman at my garage. They are all set to the same code. I programmed the X10 box with my computer to turn on that code at dusk and off at 11:00pm. Also on again at 6:00am and off at dawn. The kit comes with a remote that controls the TV, VCR, Stereo, Satellite AND the X10 stuff. So you can be watching TV, dim the lights down to a comfortable level, turn the lights off in your kids room and turn off the light at your garage without getting off your butt. Gosh I'm lazy. If you want any more info, just ask. I've got tons of stuff.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Remote Controlled Light? #8  
I just visited the X10 site. It looks like something I'd be very interested in. Question, is anybody using it on Windows Millenium? They don't list that specifically in their requirements.

Jeff

/ Remote Controlled Light? #9  
I use it in win 95, 98 and 2000. Don't have ME to try it on. Do have XP, but haven't tried it on that yet either.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Remote Controlled Light? #10  
Will the X10 transmitter handle 300'? X10 site indicates only 100'. Real world experience?