Reloading for Dummies?

/ Reloading for Dummies? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
OK, maybe the title itself is an oxymoron. I've been thinking about getting into reloading and don't know the first thing about it. I did find an old thread on equipment which is pretty useful, although I haven't had time to read the entire thing.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/328775-reloading-ammo.html

Right now I hope to just start reading, and would like to find a basic starter book. I mostly would be reloading .38/.357 ammo with some .308.
By all accounts I can buy ammo for my 30-30 for less than I can make it, and I suspect the same is true of .223 if I ever decide to shoot it.

Every year my employer gives us a $200 Cabelas gift certificate for Christmas. Normally I use some of it to stock up on ammo, but this year I might put it toward reloading instead.

/ Reloading for Dummies? #2  
I think an up-to-date book on reloading would be a good place to start. It lets you know what is involved and how deep into reloading you would want to go. Lyman or RCBS.

/ Reloading for Dummies? #3  
I reload for everything I shoot. No way you can buy factory ammunition for the cost of reloading for any caliber.

I currently reload for 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .223, .30/30, .308. .300 Win Mag. In shotgun, 28, 20 and 12 ga.

For starting out, get one of the inexpensive Lee single stage presses. I do not like them as I am a tool snob but they will get the job done. Add a good beam scale (do not get the Lee scale), a powder measure and trickler. Of course dies in the calibers you want to reload. Buy or make a tumbler for cleaning cases. That will be the minimum to get you in production.

I have owned at least a dozen progressive presses and I have downsized metallic loading to two Dillon 1050's and two Dillon 550's for pistol ammunition. I load rifle ammunition on an RCBS Rock Chucker and a Co-Ax press...both are 50 years old and still work like new. For the AR's, I plan to use one of the progressives. Quality equipment is nice.

You will tire of loading pistol ammunition on the single stage tool and want a progressive. Do not buy the Lee progressives unless you like to tinker.

/ Reloading for Dummies? #4  
I reload shot shells on a Lee press, it isn't speedy, but I don't shoot much. I can pick what I want in the shell and usually select for the cleanest she'll I can make. I do reload metallic on my brother in law's RCBS, as I have a bolt action 30-30, and can use pointed soft points. He does 30-30 and .270. he like the flexibility. He was nervous about it at first, but sees it as good practice and process.

/ Reloading for Dummies? #5  
A lot of people seem to recommend a single stage to start with. I don’t agree. I started with a Dillon 550. It’s really not hard and the 550 will just about reload anything. They also make it so you can swap tool heads including the powder drop so you don’t lose your settings. This makes changing calibers easy.

/ Reloading for Dummies? #6  
A good reloading manual....the Lyman or RCBS are a good suggestion.....

A single stage press has it痴 place, I reloaded for years with a Lyman Orange Crusher. Still have it, still use it for odd work or low volume stuff. I would recommend a single stage to start since it does allow you to learn the 菟rocess and procedures of reloading. And learning the process and procedures is, IMO, important.

I tried progressive reloading, but discovered I am too **** about certain steps to be comfortable with progressive reloading. Got a deal on a Lee Classic Turret press and have never looked back. Much faster than single stage, but allows me the flexibility to be **** about certain steps of reloading......primer pocket, case length, charge weight every 10th round, etc. with extra turrets I am set up for multiple calibers, homemade quick change system allows me to swap between turret press and single stage press in minutes. Works for me. YMMV.

I don稚 shoot precision, the Lee case length cutters/gauges work well for me. Lyman case prep tools do as well. I have a mix of dies, RCBS, Lyman, and Lee.

Some way to clean cases, a good scale (I have a Lyman beam scale and a Cabela痴 digital that was a smoking deal on Craigslist), a set of calipers to measure cases and finished rounds, and a decent powder measure rounds things out.

Big thing, IMO, in reloading is patience and consistency. At least IME.

/ Reloading for Dummies? #7  
I like Lee stuff. It fits my budget. And I have a Lee four stage press. It's not the one that holds cases and bullets, you still put those on by hand. But each die has a spot and it rotates them to each spot each throw of the handle. It will load more than I have the patience to do. Not as fast as progressive but I don't shoot much compared to many.

I started with Lee single stage. I still have it. I will load small batches of stuff on it or long rifle cartridges. It's slow but works. He is right you will use this just a few weeks, decide if you like it or not as you learn how to do it and then decide to go bigger or trash the hobby.

Reloading DOES NOT save you money! Haha. If the ammo costs you half as much you just shoot 2x as much each time. You buy lots of components and lots of gear. It's addictive. And then you buy guns to shoot calibers you don't have.

I haven't bought in awhile and haven't loaded much the last few years as my shooting slowed. It also depends if you buy your bullets by the 500 or 5000 and same with primers , powder, and do you shoot hardcast or jacketed bullets. But if I recall I was loading .38 for around $0.07-0.10 each? These were hole punching hardcast rounds not like full power stuff with hollow points. Also on that I would advise you not to handload your personal defense rounds, but do what you want.

I'm no expert by any means. But I do own a few Lee presses and Lee components. I am satisfied with what I have, I have not used many others so most I cannot compare but for what I do I am happy esp considering my investment in the components.

/ Reloading for Dummies? #8  
I use a Dillon 550, do pistol reloads only right now. Great press. I personally would not reload 9mm....not worth my time right. However it might be when I retire.

Good advice here, stick with it and get started!

/ Reloading for Dummies? #9  
If you reload handgun calibers, a Dillon works fine but if you reload bottleneck cartridges fr longer distance shooting (with consistent accuracy and velocity), a single stage press and loading accessories is mandatory. I use bushing dies, and accessories and I anneal my cases after every second loading.

Investment in reloading tools all depends on your discipline and the distance you shoot. Handgun loads aren't critical, long gun loads at distance are.

Firth thing to do is purchase a reloading manual and read that. Anything but a Berger manual. Berger reloading manuals are for an experienced reloader, not a novice. I reload using the Berger regimen but don't start with Berger, it's complex and requires specific tools and gauges.

/ Reloading for Dummies? #10  
A lot of people seem to recommend a single stage to start with. I don’t agree. I started with a Dillon 550. It’s really not hard and the 550 will just about reload anything. They also make it so you can swap tool heads including the powder drop so you don’t lose your settings. This makes changing calibers easy.

Man after my own heart.

Here is a thread I started some time ago. Might help a bit.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/296858-lets-reload-some-ammo.html?highlight=ammo