Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Just bought some heavy duty grease the other day for $ 5.39 a tube. Regular multi-purpose grease is $ 2.29. Is there really that big a difference between the greases? I am using on my tractor and excavator.

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #2  
Equipment with pins & bushings (excavators) need grease with moly for proper protection. Many greases with moly can be used in all positions such as ball & roller bearings & bushings. The moly provides protection in Slow moving high pressure applications.
90cummins

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #3  
We ran out and someone came home with half a dozen tubes of common grease. I put it in some stuff we regular regrease. I would say you could notice the difference between it and modern moly grease as to how far ir went thru grime before regrease and as someone else mentioned, never a plugged zerk. I dont do a lot of grease, more long term experience and dont think I ever replaced a rod end done religious with it. Front end and suspension parts etc. We got worn out bearings on a disk I have been seeing on how long they go, I really hyper grease, 4 or 5 hrs on it when dry sand etc but even outright gone seals and greasing before storage it last a decade.
People obsess with oil changes but grease points aint what they were. I 2x a shot of grease in a work truck tie rod end for every oil service and have a 91 in severe winter service got a couple original parts, never let it get dried out. Its not uber scientific or reral **** other than when we get a chance to put a pump in it for free or iof we worked the snot out of it never got to repair.
There is a time and place for the battery stuff. I had my guns tricked out but they got used elsewhere and need another new but I think its worth 2 grease types. I like the pretty pink for hi speed and bearings and the sticky black bear shate for pin and bush. I like 4 guns, pistol W hose for both flavors and a lever with straight pipe for each. I have the disk I use a case or so a year on, but the rest of my stuff has pretty much been serviced and a tube goes a long way and if I was in the 50 hr tractor club might be able to maintain everything with 1 grease too.
I did a neighbor service to a JD utility and its not hi use but stored indoor but had some steering stuff wouldnt take, a couple pieces wasnt a job to take right apart then grease at assembly. Stuff was dry and not sure when where it was done. All that dealer assembled equipment, never know if accurate list was followed.
I do a couple side jobs and have a line item I follow the first time I service, I dont replace it all but I open air filters etc and fix any grease points and stuck stuff gets spray. I use about 50 cans that stuff a year. I hate stuck adjustments, stuck bolts.

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #5  
I grease million dollar industrial equipment daily. I know a thing or 2 about grease and advise the you look up grease compatibility charts before you start mixing grease types. Many greases do not mix well and will cause problems down the line. And never mix polyurea grease with anything unless you want to change bearings

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #6  
Too me, things like pivot points with bushings it may be fine. When considering greases and oils it has to get in but also out to be refreshed. This applies to grease for roller and needle bearings, oil for rod bearings etc.

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #7  
I simply use whatever grade/type grease is recommended in my Owners Manual.

JMHO - it's more important to have a regular greasing schedule than depending upon "super" greases.

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #8  
I used to own a food processing machine, The govt required that I use a food grade grease on all 47 grease points, I had nothing but problems after a while.
It was a white colored grease and what a mess...

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #9  
The heavy duty is better especially in hi wear and doesnt seem to get the clogged fitting syndrome. I greased one the other day that had been down some hard road, simply looking at it you would haver said its been neglected but on first pump or 2 nice older grease being pusher out. Old general grease would have been long gone.

/ Regular vs Heavy Duty Grease #10  
I buy any major brand of multi purpose grease. The color of the grease is an indication of what color dye they used when they mixed it. 😉 I’m putting 30 or 40 hours a year on most of my stuff.

I was in Texas several years ago when GM was rolling out the “Texas Edition” pickups. I asked a dealer “What makes it a ‘Texas Edition’?” He said, “That little badge on the fender, and the price.”