Regen cycle

/ Regen cycle #11  
That is possible but difficult to diagnose from here.

Temperature is important to when/how long regeneration occurs and each tractor is somewhat different.

You can rely on notification when next regeneration is due. I would just tractor on until then.

The DPF is not a complex part. It is a ceramic matrix, which supplants a muffler, having the additional function of collecting soot/particulates.

Would a little additional soot in a muffler worry you?

/ Regen cycle #12  
That is possible but difficult to diagnose from here.

Temperature is important to when/how long regeneration occurs and each tractor is somewhat different.

I think you can rely on notification when next regeneration is due. I would just tractor on until then.

The DPF is not a complex part. It is a ceramic matrix, which supplants a muffler, having the additional function of collecting soot/particulates.

Would a little additional soot in a muffler worry you?

Not at this time which is why I didn't start my own post about it months ago but at some point I need to figure it out or it may be an issue if it never runs correctly over years.

/ Regen cycle #13  
Beginning about thirty-three horsepower most tractors have Diesel Particulate Filters.
If not DPF, the less used alternative emission technology is Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC).
Both the DPF and the DOC are honeycomb ceramic filters.
The DOC forces engine exhaust over a honeycomb ceramic structure coated with platinum, palladium, and rhodium. These catalysts oxidize carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water at hot exhaust temperature.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) captures exhaust particulates (soot) in a ceramic matrix. If engine is not operated sufficiently hot to incinerate exhaust particulates continuously, diesel soot accumulates in the matrix. Burning off accumulated DPF soot during active operation or parked is called REGENERATION.

Parked Regeneration is a process on diesel engines with diesel particulate filters (DPF) that temporarily changes the operating settings of the engine to generate extra-high temperatures in the DPF to combust and consume engine exhaust products (particulates/soot) that accumulate in the DPF during normal engine operation.

Soot conversion to ash requires about sixteen minutes once DPF reaches incineration temperature (500 deg F.) in warm Florida. Colder temperatures and higher altitude increase soot accumulation.

Forty percent of my Kubota regenerations occur during operation at high-throttle, sixty percent parked. Your tractor operation probably varies from mine.

DPF or DOC, your Tier IV engine has a ceramic-matrix, particulate-eliminator in the exhaust stream.
THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.​

Regeneration is an infrequent event for my Kubota three cylinder engine.
Generally once every sixty engine hours. (Consistent in Florida due to warm weather.)

60 hours X 60 minutes = 3,600 minutes.

16 regeneration minutes /3,600 = .00444 = 4/10s of 1% of engine time is parked regeneration.

Fuel cost for sixteen minute parked regeneration @ 2,200 rpm ~~$1.00.

Diesel Particulate Filter supersedes tractor muffler.
At some point in time DPF needs to be replaced.
At some point in time older tractors with mufflers need the muffler replaced.

Tire wear and tire replacement will cause as many headaches and more expense than DPF for most long term compact tractor owners who read and comprehend their Operator's Manual.

Last edited: