Refurbishing pond aerator

/ Refurbishing pond aerator #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
My aerator stopped working; I mean the compressor was still running, but the cauliflower of bubbles was not there anymore. I pulled it out of the pond to clean it and improve on it. I use a commercial membrane diffuser, I tried to make my own but the profi grade - mainly bubble size and overall performance - is impossible to replicate at home.

I had this concrete cast of a flower pot and it fits the aerator like a glove, all I had to do was to drill the hole and cut a grove for the tubing.

Attachments

• KIMG4522.jpg
    KIMG4522.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 119
   / Refurbishing pond aerator
All the connections are 3/4" NPT.

Attachments

• KIMG4524.jpg
    KIMG4524.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 110
  • KIMG4525.jpg
    KIMG4525.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 111
The diffuser itself screws in. Now I need to figure out how to sink it to the bottom keeping it upright.

Attachments

• KIMG4523.jpg
    KIMG4523.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 114
  • KIMG4526.jpg
    KIMG4526.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 117
   / Refurbishing pond aerator #4  
My mfr says to set diffusers in a 5 gal bucket, weighted as needed, tho' my diffusers are ceramic vs membrane. Inlet screens for my 2" pump setup have always been set in buckets with a fist-sized rock for weight and the bails lashed to the hose to keep things in place. I can hook up to either one where they lay every few yrs, and the only maint is when a wire bail rusts, the screen/hose floats out, and I replace a bucket. (Getting 'em with plastic handles anymore.)

btw, I bought weighted hose (300') for the two underwater airlines. Advice NOT to set diffusers at the deepest point makes perfect sense when you understand why. Windmill is an American Eagle 18'.

I used bucket for 10 years, this seems to be cleaner solution. To weight down tubing I use three hole bricks.

/ Refurbishing pond aerator #6  
Could you imitate a bucket handle with a poly rope and lower it with a gaff or on a rope with a hook.

'Yellow' (also white) rope floats and would be easy to spot or grab for future svc w/o having to pull up by airlines.

Metal anchors in the 'crete would corrode too soon, but a guy could tie up a 'basket' of rope with a few clever wraps.

I'd use 1/4" twisted polypropylene for all the above vs say nylon. (Both make good anchor ropes but nylon sinks & gathers more gunk over time.)

btw, props for a thread title that searches will find easily from anywhere. More folks will see what you've put together. :thumbsup: jon

Could you imitate a bucket handle with a poly rope and lower it with a gaff or on a rope with a hook.

'Yellow' (also white) rope floats and would be easy to spot or grab for future svc w/o having to pull up by airlines.

Metal anchors in the 'crete would corrode too soon, but a guy could tie up a 'basket' of rope with a few clever wraps.

I'd use 1/4" twisted polypropylene for all the above vs say nylon. (Both make good anchor ropes but nylon sinks & gathers more gunk over time.)

btw, props for a thread title that searches will find easily from anywhere. More folks will see what you've put together. :thumbsup: jon

I have some copper wire - grounding from old electrical poles - I will use it to make the hook up for a rope. I don't want to leave the rope there, we shall see.

But you lost me on props. What do you mean by that?

The compressor is housed right by the pond. I used to run water fountain from there too, but that thing died and I need to buy new pump for it.

Attachments

• KIMG4527.jpg
    KIMG4527.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 100
  • KIMG4528.jpg
    KIMG4528.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 113
The filter needs to be replaced, but the plastic cap directly by the compressor is cracked, I guess the vibration done it in. I will try to sandwich it between some plates with rubber cushions.

Attachments

• KIMG4530.jpg
    KIMG4530.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 104
   / Refurbishing pond aerator #10  
You already had me thinking I'd want some kind of air cleaner for my windmill pump, as the air intake is just the threaded inlet of a check valve. Gotta keep the bugs out.

btw, "props" = :thumbsup::thumbsup: in words. :)