Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #11  
Industries have always developed, maintained, and shared best practices. The chart above though, with no source or specific application, posted on a tractor forum... is frightening. The readers here vary widely in experience and the applications of bolts joints used on tractors range from the most benign to safety crirical.

Oil on wheel bolts... might explain why the last time I tried to remove a wheel installed by the dealer it took a 3/4 drive socket, breaker, and a 6' pipe! They said it was that tight for liability. NOT a best practice.

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #12  
Industries have always developed, maintained, and shared best practices. The chart above though, with no source or specific application, posted on a tractor forum... is frightening.

If you're referring to the chart I linked to, it WAS developed by an industry. I gave the source (Allied Systems) in Post #8. If you find this frightening, you may want to avoid using the internet. There are some really scary things there.

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #13  
If you're referring to the chart I linked to, it WAS developed by an industry. I gave the source (Allied Systems) in Post #8. If you find this frightening, you may want to avoid using the internet. There are some really scary things there.
Allied Systems??? A trucking company? So wheel bolts??? Really?

This is exactly why myself and other tractor industry people I know dont come here anymore...

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #14  
Nope, not the trucking company. It's a real manufacturer with real engineers. If you want to be unconfused, click below.

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #15  
Allied Systems??? A trucking company? So wheel bolts??? Really?

This is exactly why myself and other tractor industry people I know dont come here anymore...
Well you're here, just saying.

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #16  
What about anti-seize?
Its a lubricant even though spark plug thread lube is a paste as probably others are. If I need one I go to my little packs of that.

Not rocket science. Just thread a nut on a bolt and with your fingers run the nut up to the head of the bolt. Get out your torque wrench and see how many degrees of wrench movement it takes to get to say 50#.

Uninstall the nut and coat the bolt's threads with lube and repeat the test. "Proof is in the Pudding".

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #17  
Putting never seize on truck lug nut studs has saved me several times after going and getting new tires installed and the shop hammered them with an air impact wrench, had to take a torch to one once and it ruined the rim , never had a problem since the never seize.

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #18  
Putting never seize on truck lug nut studs has saved me several times after going and getting new tires installed and the shop hammered them with an air impact wrench, had to take a torch to one once and it ruined the rim , never had a problem since the never seize.
On the stainless wrapped nuts (like on the Ford F150), it's important to put never-seize on the nut face where it touches the rim, to help prevent galling between the stainless nut and anodized aluminum.

/ Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts
Permatex anti-seize:

"Reassemble parte using normal torque values."

"WARNING: Not for use on wheel lug nut or stud applications."

Attachments

• anti-sieze-permatex-lug.pdf
    94.1 KB · Views: 28
   / Reduced Torque with Lubricated Bolts #20  
Permatex anti-seize:

"Reassemble parte using normal torque values."

"WARNING: Not for use on wheel lug nut or stud applications."
I've never put it on the stud threads. Only the nut surface where it contacts the rim when using the stainless wrapped nuts.