Redneck weed control

/ Redneck weed control #1  

BuilderML

Gold Member
Tractor
CCY SX3100
I had to post my newest idea.:ashamed: So i was getting sick of pulling the weeds out of the garden. I sit having a beer and think " must be a better way". The light bulb goes off in my head (maybe 15watt):laughing:. I came up with a blow torch idea for controlling the weeds. So i look at the harbor freight flyer and sure enough there it is propane blow torch with a 25% off coupon to boot. I said why not. $15 dollars later i arrive home with the new toy, unscrew the propane tank from the grill. So i head to the garden with torch and tank in hand. Fire up the torch and pull the trigger. Off i go with a smile on my face hoping none of the neighbors can see me. I look over and see my wife walking over with our son (3yrs old) to the garden. Her exact words " Your such an idiot". My son says "Dad what are you doing". I said son i like to think of it as my new method of redneck weed control. My wife later said she should have filmed me and posted on You Tube. End result guys it works pretty good. One word of advice don't get to close to the bean plants. My question now really is does this still qualify as an "ORGANIC GARDEN"? I had to share with the guys of TBN firgure some may like it.

/ Redneck weed control #2  
I've been thinking the same thing as the weed killer seemed to kill the weeds that grew in the cracks of my driveway only to reappear with all the rain we have been having. Question is does it actually kill them or will the roots just produce new growth? :hissyfit:

/ Redneck weed control #3  
I use a torch now and then in my vineyard. it works well if you have patience and cook the roots. Not really cost effective because of the propane cost, but it is organic and that is important in wine grapes.

/ Redneck weed control #4  
Sounds good to me. I take it your wife thought you should be hoeing the weeds or--God forbid--actually bending over to pull them? :laughing:

I have used the string trimmer on weeds in our little garden. It keeps them from going to seed and getting big enough to take over. They are mostly annual (fixed it) weeds and the roots are going to die in the fall anyways.

Last edited:
   / Redneck weed control #5  
When building the fence on one side of our garden I placed a treated 2x4 on the ground, on edge, then strung the wire above it, to have something to trim against without the string grabbing the wire. Works good.

Bruce

/ Redneck weed control #6  
Using a torch works great and it is pretty fast as well. I use it quite a bit in our garden. All you have to do is hit the plant hot enough to disrupt the cellular structure of the leaves. If your smoking/cooking the plants your just wasting propane.

/ Redneck weed control
I've been thinking the same thing as the weed killer seemed to kill the weeds that grew in the cracks of my driveway only to reappear with all the rain we have been having. Question is does it actually kill them or will the roots just produce new growth? :hissyfit:
I am not sure yet if they return it hasn't been long enough yet but what i did hit with the torch has not come back "yet"

/ Redneck weed control
Using a torch works great and it is pretty fast as well. I use it quite a bit in our garden. All you have to do is hit the plant hot enough to disrupt the cellular structure of the leaves. If your smoking/cooking the plants your just wasting propane.

Thanks for the tip i was in fact "cooking" them.

/ Redneck weed control
Sounds good to me. I take it your wife thought you should be hoeing the weeds or--God forbid--actually bending over to pull them? :laughing:

I have used the string trimmer on weeds in our little garden. It keeps them from going to seed and getting big enough to take over. They are mostly annual (fixed it) weeds and the roots are going to die in the fall anyways.
The wife would normally help but she is 9 months pregnant so its all on me now. She never did tell me how i should do it so i guess i found a loop hole to make it alittle more fun if thats possible in weeding a garden

/ Redneck weed control #10  
My 3yr old would love that. He harvested his first squash out of his own garden today. Btw, I had no idea that going from 1 to 2 children would be so much harder that going from 0 to 1. Bless you and say goodbye to the last of your remaining free time!