Red Rules!!!

/ Red Rules!!! #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
My 1941 Farmall A. It had rings, bearings, and paint done before I bought it July 3rd. I want to add a sickle bar mower, and belly scraper to it eventually. I mostly got it for light work, since it is all painted up pretty. I want to keep it in nice condition for parades and such. I'm sure that if I was not concerned about cosmetics, she would work like a mule!

She sure is a lot of fun to drive! She's crank start. I like the wiring harness; there's a single wire on the tractor, which goes to the kill switch.

I hope to take some newer picturese of it, and my B8200 Kubota soon.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Red Rules!!! #2  
Great looking little Farmall A!! Hard to believe it's 60 years old. That will definitely get some attention in parades and such. I'll bet it's one of those toys you only get out on sunny days.

You know, with a small trailer you could drive to town for groceries, and I don't think anyone would call it rediculous. That's also an interesting parking brake under the right rear tire.

Bob Pence

/ Red Rules!!! #3  
RobertN -

Now that's cute! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Got any specs on her that you could share?

HarvSig.gif

/ Red Rules!!! #4  
Looks new to me!

I was at a dairy festival a couple of summers ago, and they had a tractor show in conjunction with it. One guy had a similar tractor with two complete engines, hoods, transmissions. The second one was mounted to the right of the original engine. It looked to me like each transmission drove one of the rear wheels.

/ Red Rules!!!
I have a small trailer I use with it now, 4'x3'. I have been using it to takes the cans to the pick-up point, and to haul wood around the property.

This does have a "park brake" of sorts. There is a little pawl that holds the brake pedal. It is worn though; I need to rebuild/weld and shape the edge that catches on it.

/ Red Rules!!! #6  
Great looking little "A" All the old farmalls are popular around these parts. Don't see many as nice as yours.

/ Red Rules!!!
Harv,
I have to check this weekend. It has about 16 PTO horsepower, and the same at the drawbar. It's interesting, because they never specced engine hp on the early farm tractors; they wanted to know what was available pulling power on the drawbar, and what the belt pulley and PTO hp was.

My Kubota B8200 has info for PTO hp, and engine hp, but nothing for the drawbar.

Another interseting feature of these early Famall letter seris and the Cub, is the offset engine. the engine sets to your left, so you can clearly see the ground and crops you are cultivationg. It was called "cultivision".

I'll dig up some tidbits tomorrow...

/ Red Rules!!! #8  
Robert,

I have the Farmall A Culti-vision. It was built in 1944 with a 113 cu in engine. The Farmall A and B were manufactured between 1939 and 1948, an estimated 200,000 model A and B were built. Mine has a new paint job, all the orginal looking decals. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I am amazed how easy it is to still get parts for these tractors.

/ Red Rules!!! #9  
That is a very sharp looking tractor My IH is only 15 years old and I hope it last as long as that one did.

35-19765-254av.jpg

/ Red Rules!!! #10  
Robert,
She is a beauty. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Do you have a flapper on your muffler?
If you really want to make it stand out for special events,armoural the tires. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
I guess you also have found out not to trust leaving it in gear for a brake,yep a split piece of wood or a truck tire chalk works great. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I should know but my brain fuzzy this morning, /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gifdo you have a 6 or a 12 volt system?

Take care and take a nice ride on her. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif