Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel!

/ Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel! #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
Well I finally made the mistake of putting regular gas in my tractor. I have two 5 gal cans that are colored yellow that have diesel and three 5 gal cans colored red that I have non-ethanol gas for my zero turn.
I woke up after my nap yesterday and bleary eye went to fill up the tractor that I used that morning. 3 1/2 gallons later I realized I was using one of the red cans.
I used my 6 liter oil evacuation bottle and sucked the oil tank dry (evacuated about 8 1/2 gallons total). That was about a $25 screw up but thankfully I caught the mistake before starting the tractor.

/ Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel! #2  
At least you won't have to worry about algae for a while. That killed it. lol

/ Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel! #3  
Yep after good nap takes while fine tune thoughts and actions more so older you get. ;)

/ Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel! #5  
I have a yellow 5 gallon can with 92 octane in it, in my fuel storage locker.

I needed Gasoline for the saws, but forgot a red can, which I have an abundance of, when I made the trip into town. So I bought a Yellow one, on sale, as I can always use another of those and filled it with gasoline.

It's marked with a tag, and I suppose I should have poured it into a red container. It has confused me a few times already, looking for gas!

Last edited:
   / Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel! #6  
I f you have the time and capacity...a little gasoline in a larger quantity of diesel is not a problem...no reason to waste fuel...

/ Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel! #7  
I think I've got one actual 'yellow' 20ltr can for diesel... my other one is red that I've wrapped a band of yellow '1000mph tape' around the body and handle of. Also written DIESEL on both sides of the top.

My small 5ltr 2-stroke can has a black band of '1000mph tape'.

/ Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel!
I f you have the time and capacity...a little gasoline in a larger quantity of diesel is not a problem...no reason to waste fuel...

I wasn't sure and I would rather err on the side of caution given my tractor is only 6 months old and I have 4 1/2 yrs of payments left. :laughing:

/ Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel! #9  

So....OP's got 3.5 gal gas (41%) to 5 gal diesel (59%) to 8.5 gal total of extracted fuel.

There are stories of old-timers cutting fuel oil / diesel with gas in winter to prevent gelling. OP is in Texas so perhaps doesn't get cold winters.

Purist will say 0%, but what is acceptable (tolerable) % of gas in diesel?

A pint per 10 gallons? (That's 1 pint per 80 pints; or ~ 1.2%)

/ Red is gas, Yellow is Diesel! #10  
Does modern polution control equipment change any of the old accepted practices?