Red crumbly substance in wood stove

/ Red crumbly substance in wood stove #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
I cleaned out the top chamber of my wood stove today. I noticed a red crumbly, almost clay-like substance coating some parts. Specifically, it appeared to be coating parts where air flow was restricted, like the grate leading from the firebox to the upper combustion chamber, or a place where the gasket for the catalytic combustor wasn't fit perfectly and air flow was going through. It wasn't on the catalytic combustor itself, though, and that's certainly an area where airflow is restricted. It wasn't sticky at all, and easily crumbled off when poked or scraped.

Does anybody have any idea what this stuff is? I have tried web searching, but the fact that my search term includes the word "red" means that I get a zillion hits about overfiring a stove (red hot metal).

/ Red crumbly substance in wood stove #2  
Hm. I get red crumbly ash remains in my fire pit when I burn things that shouldn't be, like treated lumber with nails in it. I don't suppose that applies to your wood.

/ Red crumbly substance in wood stove #3  
Wood wet?..could be cause.

/ Red crumbly substance in wood stove
Hm. I get red crumbly ash remains in my fire pit when I burn things that shouldn't be, like treated lumber with nails in it. I don't suppose that applies to your wood.

Nope. Just hardwood.

Wood wet?..could be cause.

Sometimes the wood is not completely dry if it's been raining. What is it, though?

/ Red crumbly substance in wood stove #5  
you a member at hearth.com? those guys know everything related to wood burning, I myself am a member there, this would be a good question for thme. Personally I have no idea?