Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #71  
Thanks all. Now to find a decent used zero turn with a steering wheel.
I will try lowering the air pressure in rider tires. I just have been airing up until firm. Obvious mistake on my part, didn't even dawn on me. My grass area is quite bumpy, little depressions and all...

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #72  
Greetings:

Considering a cash buy of ZTXS5 series (steering wheel) mower. No prior ownership experience of ZT mowers, but have rented Exmarks a few times in the past and probably have 40 hours practical experience with the lap-bar ZT usage.

Interested to hear from respondents with experience in both lap-bar and steering wheel mower usage. Pros/Cons of steering wheel versus lap-bar other than cost. Already have read the sales literature, but looking for inside skinny warnings/positives, etc.

Thanks in advance to any who choose to reply.
I bought a used exmark last year, Wouldn't trade it for any thing. It is a commercial mower, which makes it nice since I can get my yard mowed a lot quicker. I have a slope out back that was very dicy mowing crossways with my older rider. but the zt crosses it with no worries of upsetting.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #73  
This is a factor, and yes would have been nice. Not sure why it's built how it is, but presumably there's a reason :)

Oddly, I just found a part on cub cadet's website that is a "seat suspension kit". Honestly looks like the same product: Seat Suspension Kit - 590-583-150 | Cub Cadet US
Cub Cadet could have fixed this (for me anyway) by just offering the ZTXS6 with a 54" deck. I would have bought that in a heart beat if available.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #74  
This was a review I wrote about 4 years ago. The only update would be that MTD (Cub Cadet) has discontinued the BlueTooth app).

1.5 acres of unimproved 20 degree slope grass
- Unimproved means ground squirrel mounds, pot holes, small water erosion channels
- multiple planes with ridges to cross and about a half acre of mesa on top
- either a berm or ditch along the bottom boundary with no runout space
- in short, a challenge

Tried a couple of tractor mowers, including a ToolCat with mower attachment but the pucker factor was too high. A self propelled walk behind mower works, but takes about 8 hours and a couple gallons of ice tea

Lap bar Zero Turns are typically not usable for anything above 10-15 degrees. Even then, because the front wheels caster, the rear drive wheels don't follow the track on a slope and tend to dig up the turf. The RZT mowers have steerable front wheels synchronized with the drive wheels that greatly reduce this.

The RZT SX54 was only affordable consumer mower I could find that was actually rated for a 20 degree slope in the manufacturer specs. The SX models replaced the S models a few years ago. Apparently the only differences were some control positions. Functionally the S and SX are supposed to be the same.

By the way - I tried the wood 2x4 and level technique for measuring slope. That works, but the RZT operators manual has a very simple folded sheet of paper template that works just as well if all you need is a go/nogo decision.

So, let's start the walk around

As mentioned earlier, this is a true zero turn mower with a steering wheel, not lap bars.

The control column can be adjusted to one of two positions. Fully up makes entry/exit a little easier. Down is better for operation. A small center foot pedal controls the column lock, so it's easily changed. The seat is comfortable enough and slides forward or backward as needed. Armrests are standard, but if you are doing slope cutting, you'll want them up and out of the way. There's a headlight on the column for mowing at dusk. Not sure if that is all that useful. Likewise, there are a couple of molded storage pockets, a 12v charger and cup holder.

The front wheels are semi-pneumatic, so no flats.

There are 10 zerk fitting grease points. Two are under the center frame for the control linkage, two on each front post bearing, one on each front wheel bearing and one on each mower deck wheel. All are easy to access.

Note that 6 of the 10 grease points are blind. The only ones you can actually see the grease come out are the center linkage points and the mower deck wheels. I noticed that some of the fittings on my unit had never been factory greased, so it's definitely worth doing before your first cut.

Operator controls are easy to reach. The Kawasaki engine says it is EFI, but there is a choke control. The keyswitch has 4 positions: Off, Reverse Enable, On and Start. More on this later.

Really surprised at how much I like the Bluetooth enabled hour meter. It pairs up with a free app for your smartphone and gives a good indication of when each maintenance item needs to be accomplished. Of course you have to be OK with MTD getting that usage data as well. The downside is that it doesn't seem to recall login details so you have to log in each use and the app needs to be opened while the mower is running to update the hours.

The left pedal is the brake. Haven't used it much except when setting the parking brake with one of the two small center pedals. Foot off the throttle seems to stop the mower just fine. The two pedals on the right control forward and reverse speed. Press harder, go faster.

The deck level control is easy enough to use. Each detent represents about 1/2 inch. Range is between about 1 and 4.5 inches.

There's a 2.8 Gallon gas tank, however it will only fill to about 2 gallons. Really like the visual level indicator so the cap doesn't need to be removed. The engine does go through a fair amount of gas - about 2 hours to the tank. Be nice if the RTZ had dual fuel tanks like the Z-Force, but that's what the extra $2K gets you I guess.

The welded mower deck has three blades with one quick attach hose cleanout on the left side. The rubber mower shield comes with a metal shipping brace that you'll want to keep as it makes cleaning, storage and trailering easier. By the way - an RTZ mower with 54" mowing deck is well over 60" wide. A 4x8 trailer with side walls or wheel wells won't work.

The seat tilts up for maintenance with access to the battery, oil filter and oil drain port. The 54 inch deck version of the RZT comes with a 21HP Kawasaki V Twin motor. It's not quite as smooth as Honda lawn equipment engines I've used, but it's not bad. It does have an oil pump and is rated for 25 degree slope operations.

The mower comes with a vinyl extension tube that fits over the drain port. Just attach the tube and twist the port to open. Be sure to place a rag or shop towel under the port before changing the oil or filter.

The oil filter cross references to a number of generic filters on Amazon, so it's not necessary to buy expensive Cadet or Kawasaki branded filters. However, the generic filters may not be exactly the same size as the Kawasaki branded filters. The generic ones I ordered were slightly shorter and narrower than Kawasaki branded filters. They did fit though. You might find a better match by using the Kawasaki part number on the filter rather than the MTD number in the manual.

Very easy to open the air filter cover.

There's an inexpensive tow bracket available for garden trailers or spray tanks that attaches behind the muffler. The RTZ is spec'd to tow up to 250 pounds.

Rear tires are good sized with turf treads. I've noticed they do pick up wet cut grass and dirt. If that happens, you'll have racing slicks with limited traction.

Not a fan of water cleanout ports. This mower only has one port even though the manual said there are two. Water ports seem to create a huge mess and don't get much grass or dirt out, even when cleaning immediately after cutting. I ended up using a power washer and even that wasn't enough. Ended up using a ramp and manually cleaning things out. If you do use the wash port, be sure to drop the deck to the lowest position and wash on a hard surface. That creates more of a wind tunnel effect. The mower blade safety switch means you have to stay seated while cleaning. Theoretically.

The manual says to not use water for cleaning anything other than the underdeck area. That's just not realistic. Be smart, don't spray water directly on the engine, spindles or electronic controls and keep the grease fittings well lubed.

Aside from the ineffective wash port, the other criticisms I have are the reverse operation safety switch, oil filter and drain and the mower deck design.

In normal operating mode, shifting into reverse immediately kills the blades. To get the blades moving you have to stop reversing and then cycle the PTO switch.

There is a reverse operation allowed position on the key switch. If after starting, you place the key in that position and press a confirmation button, the blades will continue to operate when moving forward or backing up. However, if you set the parking brake and momentarily get off the mower, the whole activation process has to be repeated. Really annoying.

The welded mower deck has rather large openings through the top of the deck that allow a ton of grass clippings and dirt to build up by the spindles and belts. The safety covers over the belts are also quite open. Suspect that was done to make cleaning easier, but it also contributes to debris buildup. Seems like there could have been a better design.

Changing the oil is a real pain. The drain tube provided is far too short and needs to be twice as long. Buy a half inch inside diameter replacement at your local big box store as soon as possible.

Not sure what species of gorilla Kawasaki has working their production line, but the oil filter was incredibly hard to twist off. Didn't want to use the old screw driver through the filter trick, but eventually with a strap, screwdriver and as hard a force I could muster, I was able to get the factory filter off.

Be sure to have a large shop rag stuffed under the filter before removing it. There will be a lot of oil draining out. A fill funnel will also be helpful. Old shop trick - if you don't have a fill funnel, you can twist newspaper into a funnel and dispose of it afterwards.

The factory air filter did not come with a foam pre-filter. Most of the aftermarket filters have this. Make sure you order the correct air filter that takes a hose clamp. Some of the oil / fuel / air filter combo packs do not have the correct air or fuel filter.

With about 8 hours on the clock, I'm not ready to give the RZT a final grade. One conclusion I quickly came to - do not mow steep slopes with even the slightest hint of moisture in the grass or soil. The RZT has no problems with 20 degree slopes if the are dry. Damp? Be prepared to change your underwear. When dry, aside from the lean angle things are going well.

That's it - hope this helps.

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #75  
We bought a Cub Cadet Z force 54” with the Kawasaki engine. It has been a good machine. My wife loves running it because to handles all the slopes so well. You can do a 180 mid slope not problem on slope where we had to “hike“ out on lawn tractor to keep the uphill wheel engaged. The seat switch doesn’t allow you to even fidget in your seat, a modification was necessary. The steering effort was more than I thought it would be, power steering on the commercial models might be nice, but a wider deck would do a lot of scalping in our application. The steering got lot better when I raised the tire pressure. The original blades were soft and wore thin and cracked at the transition to the lift wing (I don’t know what to call that bit) after 2 years. We really like the mower for the lawn around the house, about 1.5 acres. Servicing it is straight forward with grease fittings on the deck spindles, and steering. The welded deck is solid. It is a well built unit, not available through any big box retailers. It was not inexpensive, that said, we are very satisfied and since we are septuagenarians it’s likely the last one we will be buying. We mow about 5 acres of very irregularly shaped ground around ponds and lots of trees. I do the “back 40” with a JD 1545 72” rear discharge I bought at auction. It is a retired municipal machine 1600 hours. When we team mow it takes about 2.5 hours give or take.
IMG_0114.jpeg

/ Recommendations/Warnings - Cub Cadet ZTXS5 Series ZT Mowers #76  
I got a CC Z-Force S, 60". It has a steering wheel. I got it a couple of years ago. I don't have much for hills here, mostly the ditch out front. I've never used a regular lap top bar kind. I like mine, but if the other automatically sets a brake when the bars are released, I would like that better. At times I have to get off and on a lot on the 2-3 acres I mow to get sticks or trash etc. Mine you step on the brake and use the right foot to engage the lock. The other comment I have is when mowing around seedlings I have planted, the rear tire wants to run over the seedling. I have mulch around them about 18" out. Just depends on how close you want to get it and how much weed trimming I want to do.