Recommendations on mini-excavator

/ Recommendations on mini-excavator #1  

sparrowhawk

Silver Member
Tractor
JD x749, LX277
Hi all,

I've been shopping around for a 6500-9000lb excavator with at least 8'6" dig depth. This isn't an area I have a ton of experience with other than renting them, so does anyone have recommendations for machines that they like over others? I don't need the cheapest, but demand well built. I've looked at cat and JD as well as kubota but figured I would ask others that have actually run these. Any help would be great. if you need more info from me, let me know.

Bri

/ Recommendations on mini-excavator #2  
After running many machines, I firmly believe Takeuchi is at the top of the list. After Tak I would say Kubota and then probably Case. I've owned 3 Bobcat minis and won't own another. Cat machines are 'okay', but IMHO not worth near what they cost. Parts for a Cat are just plain crazy.

It's sort of like asking which tractor brand is best. You'll undoubtedly get a lot of different opinions for various reasons. Two of my good friends who are contractors run concrete and waterline companies. The concrete guys are probably the toughest on their machines due to the brutal nature of ripping out and removing concrete. The waterline guys just pile the hours on and have to have a machine that doesn't get 'sloppy' because their digs have to be accurate. These guys almost exclusively run Takeuchi / Mustang (difference is sort of like Chevy and GMC) or Kubota machines. Good luck!

/ Recommendations on mini-excavator
Thanks for the feedback Dargo

I do hate to ask the "which brand is better than the other question" but on excavators I really just don't know what features should be important or things like maint. costs or the feedback you gave on bobcat. The prices and more importantly resale prices vary greatly which would lead me to believe that some of these units are the Yard king of the mini-ex market.

I'll primarily be using this for minor foundation work around my house and a few other family members plus waterline maint (I have aprox. 2800ft of line to my spring). The rest would be odds and ends that you don't think of until you have such a machine!

Thanks for your feedback so far.

/ Recommendations on mini-excavator #4  
You may want to consider watching for one that has a hydraulic thumb. No matter the brand, almost all will agree that they are very helpful and useful. It's sort of like having an FEL on your tractor; you wonder how or why you didn't have one before. I have 2 Tak minis, one is a TB175 and the other a TB145. The 175 is a bit big for around the house, but the 145, about 12,000 pounds, is really good. Once I finish clearing what I need from the woods on a 6 acre parcel I have about 2 miles from my home and dig a pond there as well as some larger chores on a couple hundred acre parcel I have, I'll sell the 175. Being too big to tow behind a pickup (almost 20k as it sits), it's not nearly as versatile.

You may want to watch IronPlanet for their auctions. They do an extremely good job checking out their "IronClad" certified machines they auction. They hire professionals to photograph, do used oil/hydraulic analysis tests and functionality tests on the machines who do better than most of us who have operated them for many years. Many of their inspectors are retired master mechanics and will give a brutally blunt description of the unit. I had one problem with an "IronClad" unit I bought from them and they gave me the option of immediately buying it back and picking it up or having it repaired. I opted to back out. They picked it up at my place in about a week, but my money was refunded immediately after they hired a local inspector to verify my issue.

Oh, I'd pass on the gray market machines and odd European machines you sometimes find here. I'm sure some are good bargains, but most people I've called and asked about their purchase express regret of their purchase. If you can find a good professional inspector who will check out a machine for a hundred bucks or so for you, it's probably money well spent. Most of the machines can be good machines, but all can be lemons. As you noted, some bring premium resale prices. Generally, there is a reason for that. The size machine you are looking for is a perfect size for what you want and is also a very common rental size. Use common sense and caution with rentals. You can get a bargain, but you can also get a money-pit nightmare. Again, good luck to you. I've spent more hours than I want to admit going through workshop manuals repairing various minis. If you have a specific question, feel free to PM me.

/ Recommendations on mini-excavator #5  
I personally owned a kubota kx121-3, also ran bobcats, takeuchi, yanmar, and a jd over the last 8 years... Everytime i was running another machine on someone elses project, i was dying to get back in the kubota... Even when it had accumulated over 2500 hrs. No major failures and the hydrualics are powerfull and smooth as silk. Only complaint were the tracks were alittle weak on my 05. Agree with the hyd thumb recommendation, indedpensable. Go to a dealer and give a few a spin.

/ Recommendations on mini-excavator
Guys, thanks for the hugely helpful recommendations! No worries, I won't be going grey market.

I'm apprehensive about rental machines as I've seen how some people treat them, but I guess if it checks out, then it could be a good deal. I like the recommendation on Ironplanet and getting a survey of a machine before buying it. I will definitely do both.

I've used a Kubota 12k lb machine before on rental and it was a nice rig for sure and just worked. I'm going to do a whole lot more looking locally to test a few out before I start the real hunt.

Again, thanks

/ Recommendations on mini-excavator #7  
I bought a Komatsu PC20-5 in 1987 and put 10,000 hours on it and never did anything but service and put new tracks on it. Now I have a Kobelco SR35 with rubber tracks. I don't put too many hours on it anymore, but i do use it. It's been a good machine too. I run a Kubota 121, and a JD 35D occasionally too, both are very nice machines too. I actually like the JD 35D a little better than the Kubota as well as my Kobelco. My problem with the JD is that the cab opening is TOO small for a 6'4" guy to get in and out of easily. My Kobelco is a little slower, but I think that is just a throttle adjustment that needs to be made to bump up the RPM's. When you are making your decision, consider how you are going to use it before you settle on a thumb or a coupler for it. These add ons will effect how much lifting capacity it has as well as slightly slowing the machine down. If you are going to dig around utilities on a regular basis, a thumb can get in the way.

/ Recommendations on mini-excavator #8  
Hi all,

I've been shopping around for a 6500-9000lb excavator with at least 8'6" dig depth. This isn't an area I have a ton of experience with other than renting them, so does anyone have recommendations for machines that they like over others? I don't need the cheapest, but demand well built. I've looked at cat and JD as well as kubota but figured I would ask others that have actually run these. Any help would be great. if you need more info from me, let me know.

Bri

Bri,

I have a Yanmar and love it so far. cab with AC was a lifesaver last summer in the 100* heat.