Recommendations for wood chipper for small material

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #61  
PTO is great if you can get the tractor to where you're working. Not possible for much of the year here currently.

That and it would make me want to buy another tractor. One for loader/backhoe stuff and one for grapple/chipping stuff.

Maybe one day.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #62  
I've run standalone industrial units, residential small units, and tractor PTO units. I presently own a PTO unit. I don't really care as long as it has infeed. The "auto feed" ones... well, not for me. I like my rollers. If you are doing any amount, the jamming and not working of the residential self feed units is something I got over real fast.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #63  
As a safety thingy, never have any loose clothing around a chipper. And by that, I mean, wear your jacket tight or have nothing that a branch can hook into as it is being sucked in. I didn't button up my cuffs one time and the chipper ripped off my entire sleeve. Good thing it was an old coat with rotted stitching. :)

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #64  
I have been burning. Probably about one a week for the last couple months. I need to go stir the coals from yesterday's.

It gets old. Breathing smoke, dodging sparks, feeding more brush onto the fire etc. Trying to be responsible and keep an eye on it is boring too.

It also isn't legal here when there is no snow cover on the ground, but I have a large enough lot in mind your own business country that it doesn't matter too much.

I'm about to say eff it and buy a gas chipper from Home Depot that i can tow behind my UTV. PTO won't be an option for a few years until I get my trails firmed up and the chips will help with that.

I had a towable 5" self powered chipper/shredder with a 14 HP gas motor. It was a little disappointing. I had to be careful about feeding it because it was under powered.

A 5" chipper PTO powered with a 20 HP diesel subcompact utility tractor (SCUT) will work you pretty hard trying to keep up with it.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material
As mentioned in my posts here, I have the Wooland Mills WC68 with hydraulic feed. It works well for me and will pull in the kind of brushy stuff we want to chip up - i.e., stuff of reasonable size with lots of side branches - that avoids using the loppers to cut that stuff into more digestible sizes. But, I need some help here with definitions: Hydraulic feeders, auto feeders, self-feeders which I guess are 'gravity' feeders, and roller feeders (which I think is what you get with hydraulic feeders?). I think I have this mostly figured out but not entirely sure.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #66  
Here's what I understand;

Hydraulic feed: powered limb feed, with a manually​
adjustable rate​
Automatic feed: powered limb feed, usually with a pressure​
sensing mechanism that will slow or stop the in feed if the rotor slows down.(Great option, but in my experience $$$)​
Roller feed: I have only seen this prefaced by "hydraulic"​
Self feed: the rotor / gravity feeds the limb (or not)​

All the best,

Peter

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material
Here's what I understand;

Hydraulic feed: powered limb feed, with a manually​
adjustable rate​
Automatic feed: powered limb feed, usually with a pressure​
sensing mechanism that will slow or stop the in feed if the rotor slows down.(Great option, but in my experience $$$)​
Roller feed: I have only seen this prefaced by "hydraulic"​
Self feed: the rotor / gravity feeds the limb (or not)​

All the best,

Peter
Thanks Peter. I already have my chipper, but this satisfies my curiousity - auto feed vs hydraulic roller feed.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #68  
The terminology is ambiguous or at least confusing, and it is unlikely that you, I, or anyone else will settle the issue. I suggest "gravity feed" and "mechanical, roller, or hydraulic feed". Gravity feed has no power other than gravity, the operator's manual push, or the mechanical action of the chipper blade pulling on the log to move material down the infeed chute. Mechanical, roller, or hydraulic feed has some power source, most commonly hydraulic, that turns a roller that pulls the material into the infeed chute.

Self-feed is ambiguous as both types feed themselves. "Auto" in the sense of "self" is the same. "Auto" in the sense of "automatic" as described by ponytug is mechanical but could also be similarly misconstrued. No doubt Iron Brew knew exactly what he meant when he said "infeed", but I did not as all chippers have an infeed or upstream side until "roller" gave me a clue. I used to think "Chuck and Duck" was gravity feed until the late Roy Jackson said he considered that only for large machines that would violently shift large logs imperiling the operator.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #69  
Another term I see: "chuck n' duck"

My understanding is that this is the "self-feed", you chuck the limb into it and duck out of the way because as it feeds in (pulled by the chipper knives and their action) the branch will come after you may rotate violently and hit you.

The self-feeders go at whatever rate the chipper knives dictate so they're dangerous not only because of the propensity of the branch to attack you but also they may pull in faster than you expect and snag something, as opposed to the roller feeds which are more predictable in speed.

/ Recommendations for wood chipper for small material #70  
Rent a forestry mulcher
1710498188505-jpeg.857244
I was going to ask whether the OP needs the chips.

I was looking at a forestry mulcher head a few weeks ago, but most seem to be for skid steers with a voracious appetite for hydraulic flow.

So I realized that a 3pt flail or brush hog may do some of it, but perhaps either a hammer flail, or I saw someone mention chains on the brush hog.

Anyway, no walking around feeding it.