Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
Hi Guys
I have written posts about building my pheasants pens below are some pictures of the three pheasants pens I have. I have aways been able to recatch the bird the hunters missed once the hunts are finished. But never the way I wanted to. This year alone when I have guided I had donated a 6 pheasant bird hunt to the schoharie county sportsman assoc for a raffle. The that guy came here to claim the hunt he won was nice enough but never hit one pheasant out 8 flushes. My dog Blue got two(no shot in them and the only two he went home with). So that left 4 pheasants to be killed predators. Then shortly after that I guided a hunt with three attorneys that had 12 birds and only got 4 again they had like 14 flushes. So that left 8 bird out to get killed. Then I guided a hunt for 10 birds provided 12 flushes and they only got 5 birds so again left 5 birds out there.

I normally have the pheasants come back to the pen and I run them in the pen or barn. I normally have the pheasants have the run of all 3 pens this year I did it a little different. I am leaving my third pen open and as you can see from the photos there is doors between the pens. So after every hunt I leave the third pen door open next day I go up there and there is one of two birds back in the pen, I close the third pen doors and then run them in with the other pheasants.

On Saturday I had an 18 bird hunt and I knew there was pheasants they had not gotten, but was not sure how many. On Sunday morning the first thing I did was check the pheasant pen before I let the dogs out. WOW 5 pheasants had recalled back to the pen and the feeder in the third pen. JACKPOT!!! So far this year I think I have reclaimed about 25 birds that I have release on hunts. The trouble with leaving them out is the hawks, the owls, the coyotoes, and my hunting dogs make quick work of them. And I am not that into feeding all those wild creatures.

But it amazes me how often come and I ask people what is the choke in your gun and they do not know. I asked you did buy the gun didn't you? But their money is good and I watch them like a hawk you have too. Most of them are very nice and if they do not listen to me when we up at the kennel they never make it to the field.

Another thing that amazes me is how often I get asked this question all the time, If I miss the birds do I have to pay for it? So very nicely I ask, are you asking me to pay for the birds that can not hit? Then they realize how absurd the question is. I would not be in business very long at that rate. My favorite clients are the ones with their own dogs, they generally know how to hunt and do it for theirs dogs not just
to kill. This time of year I enjoy seeing family's come to the game preserve to hunt together. Very often I might have three generations
here spending time together and I love to see that. This past weekend I was busy with hunts including Thanksgiving day.

But I did chuckle to myself about the 5 birds in the pen on Sunday that was my best recatch ever!!!!

CC Third Pen7.JPGCC Third pen1.JPGCC Third Pen4.jpgCC third pen10.JPG

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve #2  
Michelle
I also run a uplands preserve(very upstate NY).My experiences(10years) with hunters and birds parallels yours.On the recalled birds;what I built was a simple lean to along the outside edge of one of my pens.I just push the birds in and catch with net.Another idea I had;build a trap that extends into the pen with a door inside and one outside.As you know the birds want to walk the outside looking for a way in;leave the outside door open and close when you have birds inside then open the inside door to release into the flight pen.Maybe 2ft.square opening and 10 ft.long.Cover with 1 inch wire.

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve #3  
Another thought on cost of a hunt.When I quote a price for a hunt I make sure the per bird price is for RELEASED birds not taken(which would have to be much more).You never know how other peoples dogs will do or how the hunters can shoot.I once had a fellow book a hunt;they had to travel 2-1/2 hrs and wanted to use their own dog.After talking with them a while on the phone,the dog had never hunted pheasant and only had three legs!I convinced them to hunt with our English Pointers and they had a great hunt and thanked me for my suggestion.

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve
When I quote a price for a hunt I make sure the per bird price is for RELEASED birds not taken(which would have to be much more).You never know how other peoples dogs will do or how the hunters can shoot.

I never quote anything but released birds and have outlined on web page but people still ask. I also give them the option to hunt with my dogs, especially if there dog is not been hunting often or is green as I put it to them to be nice about it. I also try and talk
them in to coming back more often and do 3 or 4 birds at a time to train. I normally have an 8 bird minimum, but if them want to
come and train their dog I allow 3 or 4 at time, so long as they do not tie up my fields on the weekend, I try and work with people and
tell them if them come in the off periods they can do less birds. End results I may sell more birds. And if people really enjoy themselves
with their, they will more than likely become a regular customer.

I do everything I can to work with people.

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve #5  
We also do a lot of training the trainer....so to speak.Some times the dog knows more than the human!
During the season,for training sessions we usually ask them to purchase 4 birds and don't charge for our time.We do a lot of this.We also have bobwhite quail and a call back pen,this is real nice for pointing dogs and you don't have to kill the birds.We charge per/hr. for this.

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve #6  
where did you get your feeders??????
I have the red ones and some 300 lbs ones
but like the size of your big ones.

thanks

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve
where did you get your feeders??????
I have the red ones and some 300 lbs ones
but like the size of your big ones.

thanks

3T 900 LB GAMEBIRD RANGE FEEDER - feeders
Price: $369.00
3T 900 LB GAMEBIRD RANGE FEEDER I got mine for $300 at PA game breeders assoc meeting
and brought 4 of them home with me. So I got all 4 of them for $1200 as these vendors always attend this meeting

Just went up to my feed mill and got 1750lbs of food 21% protein for $315. I bring it home in 50lb bags
and pay a kid to unload and fill up my feeders. So I only have to feed about once every 35 days.

Hopes this answers your question

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve #8  
Thanks, shipping always kills me... I buy my top nets from them but never looked at feeders.

Todd

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve #9  
Another thing that amazes me is how often I get asked this question all the time, If I miss the birds do I have to pay for it? So very nicely I ask, are you asking me to pay for the birds that can not hit? Then they realize how absurd the question is. I would not be in business very long at that rate. My favorite clients are the ones with their own dogs, they generally know how to hunt and do it for theirs dogs not just to kill.
I used to guide hunts and work at a preserve also, guiding hunts was nice and profitable in college, after college I didn't need the guide income but it was more fun than working overtime (though overtime did pay alot more). I bet 80% of the hunts I guided they asked that question and I said I am here to guide you and hunt that bird till it's off the property or dead, I can shoot it for you if you want me to but there isn't a refund.

/ Recatching the left over pheasants after a hunt on my Preserve #10  
Huh - - I've never seen or heard of guided bird hunts. In Alaska we had guided big game hunts but NO ONE ever hoped for the return of a brown or grizzly that the hunter missed!!! Biggest problems here are keeping the pheasants & turkeys out of my yard - they really tend to tear up a yard.