REBUILDING CYLINDERS

/ REBUILDING CYLINDERS #1  

oneparsec

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction on my leaking cylinders. But now I can't seem to find anyone in my area, Fredericksburg, Va. that can rebuild them. Any suggestions as to a good/reasonable company or if not too
complicated, where I can get directions to rebuild them and parts suppliers. They go on a MF1010 FEL model 1014 . Thanks, Jeff

/ REBUILDING CYLINDERS #2  
Did you look in the Yellow pages under "hydraulics" "fluid power"?
Do you know who makes the cylinders.
Richmond is loaded with hydraulic shops if you can't find one around you.
Hydraulics

/ REBUILDING CYLINDERS #3  
Oneparsec, Rebuild them yourself. I rebuilt all 4 on my loader and after the first one it's not hard at all. If you loosen the cylinder nuts while they are still on the tractor it makes it so much easier than wrestling them on a bench.
Buy a cylinder kit and give one a try, you'll be glad you did.
Hydraulic Cylinder Seal Kits

Last edited:
   / REBUILDING CYLINDERS #4  
2 minute search on YellowPages.com came up with Mid Atlantic Rubber Incorporated. (540) 710-5690. Says they do hydraulics repair including o'rings and seals. I will link to my search results, but I am not sure if that will work or not...

Search Link

/ REBUILDING CYLINDERS #5  
If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, you are better off trying to find a shop to do it. Call a couple of excavating contractors in your area. See where they take their cylinders.

If you do want to try this yourself, get the packing kits from the dealer and a parts breakdown. I've never done any off of your model so I don't know what style seals they use or how the cylinder is held together. Some are easy, others are a pain even for experienced mechanics. Hey, you have to learn sometime.

/ REBUILDING CYLINDERS #6  
With cylinders some are easy, some are a PIA . You first have to make sure there is no damage, bent rod or wall is the worst. Seals go bad.
I have repacked 5 stage cylinders on 38' dump trailers. I have replaced cups in Clark forklift cylinders. I bought generic cups and had to cut bolt and rod holes myself.
Once you figure out how to get them apart and back together you have 80% of the problem solved. A lot of snap rings or blind rings that you have to find to disassemble. Be aware, some soft parts are seals and some are used as bearings (teflon or plastic) to help keep lined up and slide.
If you are handy and not affraid to try new things I'd say go for it. I usually know when I'm in over my head, I usually go a little farther then seek help.

/ REBUILDING CYLINDERS #7  
Just changed one the seals in a curl cylinder on a terramite backhoe. no problem.

/ REBUILDING CYLINDERS #8  
oneparsec said:
Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction on my leaking cylinders. But now I can't seem to find anyone in my area, Fredericksburg, Va. that can rebuild them. Any suggestions as to a good/reasonable company or if not too
complicated, where I can get directions to rebuild them and parts suppliers. They go on a MF1010 FEL model 1014 . Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, if you could fax me a parts breakdown on the cylinder, I could let you know the degree of difficulty you would be facing. I could also help you over the phone if you run into a problem.