Rebuilding an old metal bed to fit modern mattress--Part two

/ Rebuilding an old metal bed to fit modern mattress--Part two #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Part two of two--

After rehabbing the old metal bed to modern dimensions, the box spring was next. Modern ones don't work for me because they aren't firm enough. The trend today is to either a bed with no box spring or maybe just a wooden box spring so that's what I did.

In making a wooden one, I could make an exact height and fit needed and give the firm support wanted. I picked the lightest spruce I had and some quarter sawn for the rails. It's pretty lightweight. The frame itself is glued and nailed but slats that go crossways are removable for transport. The cost was free wood in the barn.

Plus, for the height of the thick modern mattress, I only needed a 4 1/4" box spring and not the standard 9" that would be too high. This works perfect. Note teh top slats are inset to keep height down. Pics below.

IMG_8329.JPGIMG_8332.JPGIMG_8335.JPGIMG_0099.JPG

Prior to this bed, I rehabbed a metal bed for the guest room and made a wooden box spring for that one. In order to keep the look of the old bed, I could only have a 2 1/4" high box spring. A wooden one with metal slats underneath was all that would work. The top slats in the box spring are inset and removable. I could have "stepped" the side rails lower to use a taller box spring but this works better.

Guests that use this bed say it's the best mattress they ever slept on and just love it. Below are the pics of just the box spring build.

IMG_7261.JPGIMG_7262.JPGIMG_7265.JPGIMG_7267.JPG

Last edited:
   / Rebuilding an old metal bed to fit modern mattress--Part two #3  
Great work on that project. Combination of metalworking and carpentry. A man of many talents.
(y)