Reason for patronizing your local hydro shop

/ Reason for patronizing your local hydro shop #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I bought a detent kit for my new valve and for the life of me I could not get the screw out of the spring that returned the lever to neutral. So I hauled the valve down to the local shop and it took him about 30 seconds and he didn't charge me. I have already been down there getting some fittings so he did recognize me. His fittings were competitively priced with SC and DHH.

/ Reason for patronizing your local hydro shop #2  
I bought a detent kit for my new valve and for the life of me I could not get the screw out of the spring that returned the lever to neutral. So I hauled the valve down to the local shop and it took him about 30 seconds and he didn't charge me. I have already been down there getting some fittings so he did recognize me. His fittings were competitively priced with SC and DHH.

Well, your lucky. My local hydraulic guy is anywhere from 100-150% higher than DHH. :( And then when he doesn't have what I'm asking for, he sends me to the other local hydraulic guy and he is even more money. :mad: I don't have any idea how these guys stay in business. It is hard to believe that other businesses continue to buy from these guys. I guess that there patrons figure the price is worth it to have it in hand. :confused: I know that the last time that I had to go into the expensive place, they wanted $60 for a part that I got for $18. I could have paid for it to have been at my door step the next day before 10am and it still would have been less $$.

Anyway, just my experience, I know others vary, a lot.

/ Reason for patronizing your local hydro shop #3  
My local hydraulic shop carries a few other things, notably plastic culvert.

I went in there about 3 years ago, needing a 20' stick of 12" culvert.

Well, the guy has one, and he tells me it is $5.00 per foot, which is within the reasonable price range, but just as I am about to tell him I'll take it, he says it is really closer to 21' since he measures the bell on one end and the flange part that goes inside the bell on the other end also.

Now, as you can tell from my picture, I was not born yesterday, and I hate being cheated. I know that a 20' stick of culvert is counted as 20' , not 21'.

I turned around and have never darkened the door of that store again. Plus I found the same 12" culvert for $89 at an irrigation supply house...