Rear Wheel Weight adaptation

/ Rear Wheel Weight adaptation #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
My neighbor gave me a pair of John Deere rear wheel weights. 140 pounders. For the price I decided I could take the time to convert them to fit my M9540. Well, I don't have the equipment necessary to redrill the weights so I had to cobble up some brackets. Took a lot of head scratching because I'm not mathematically inclined.

My centers are cast iron and have a set of 4 holes and a set of 3 holes. The JD weights only had 3 hole mounts but they were wayyyyy off in dimensions from mine. I took 4 5/8x6" crs thread bolts and cut the heads off. Inserted them in my 4 hole pattern. Then using 2"x1/4" angle iron I built a square that fit around the outside of my four bolts. Centered it in my cast wheels and welded the bolts to the angle square. Then I removed the square and laid it on the back of one of the weights. Got it centered with one of the three weight holes lining up to go thru my angle iron. The other two were outside the angle iron about 1.5". Built tabs to those holes and welded them to my angle square, then drilled three 5/8" holes. Stuck bolts in those three holes so they would be pointing outward when the square was bolted to the wheel and welded them in place.

First attempt at mounting was with the angle bracket bolted to the tractor, then try to lift the weight onto the 3 bolts coming out of my bracket. That didn't work so well. So I took the bracket off the tractor wheel and bolted it to the weight. Then lifted that assembly into place and fastened it to the tractor wheel with 4 nuts/washers from the back side.

Turned out pretty good. Hope I never have to remove them. Including brackets and hardware, gained 148lbs on each wheel. I would have never paid $1 per lb to gain that much. Shucks I don't have that much invested in my 1500lbs of tire fluid. But the price was right so I went for it. Gave me a shop project on a couple crappy weather days. :)

In the first picture you can see four little blue pieces of tape, that's marking the four holes I used in the tractor wheel.

/ Rear Wheel Weight adaptation #2  
Very nice work man! Looks great.

I have a couple sets of old weight, one is a JD set. I have been planning to do the same on my lil tractor and will do it soon. Your photos are helpful...

/ Rear Wheel Weight adaptation #3  
Pretty slick job. Even though my rear tires are loaded with beet juice, I think wheel weights are a good way to go--then foaming.

/ Rear Wheel Weight adaptation #4  
Awesome job!

/ Rear Wheel Weight adaptation
Pretty slick job. Even though my rear tires are loaded with beet juice, I think wheel weights are a good way to go--then foaming.

The worst thing about weights is their expense. If buying new they are always $1 per lb or higher. In my case I added 1500lbs of weight at a cost of $212 (14 cents per pound) using Windshield Washer fluid. To get the same benefit with weights I'd have to add five weights on each side. They'd be clear outside my tires!!! And I'd have spent $1500 or maybe a little more!!!!

I only did this because the weights were free. If buying, I wouldn't have paid more than $50 for these two weights (18 cents per pound).

Very nice work man! Looks great.

I have a couple sets of old weight, one is a JD set. I have been planning to do the same on my lil tractor and will do it soon. Your photos are helpful...

Don, I think your problem might be that your rear wheels are too small??? These weights measure 23.5" across. You can how they nicely fit inside my wheels. My wheels/tires are 30".

When I had my L4400 I looked all over for some weights but couldn't find any small enough. Finally found and used a pair of front tire weights. They were too small, but at least added 130lb to the rear of the tractor.

/ Rear Wheel Weight adaptation #8  
Looks great!

/ Rear Wheel Weight adaptation #9  
Don, I think your problem might be that your rear wheels are too small??? These weights measure 23.5" across. You can how they nicely fit inside my wheels. My wheels/tires are 30".

When I had my L4400 I looked all over for some weights but couldn't find any small enough. Finally found and used a pair of front tire weights. They were too small, but at least added 130lb to the rear of the tractor.
The JD weights I have are smaller, but still don't fit inside the center of the rim on the L3800. I've thought about mounting them anyway, they would not stick out passed the sidewall of the tires. But I'll probably just keep looking for smaller and continue using these on my counter weight rig.

/ Rear Wheel Weight adaptation #10  
Looks good. Between the cast centers, fluid and now the weights you must have 2500 lbs, I bet it is pretty stable on slopes.