Rear Tire Ballast Fluid?

/ Rear Tire Ballast Fluid? #31  
I use water and antifreeze, my Father and Grandfather didn’t and have either had to repair rims or replace them altogether because what they used cause major rusting of the wheel when the tube is punctured. Generally the worst around the valve stem.

I’d rather run around dry and add weights than deal with rusty rims.

This one‘s not mine but an example of why you might want to avoid weight that can also cause corrosion.

E8D22152-5B0B-4A26-87CB-F81C2A7DB33E.jpeg

/ Rear Tire Ballast Fluid? #33  
Had mine filled when new in 2010. Don't know what was used but they have shown a lot of rust for a few years now and leaked quite a bit of air a few times. Up until now I've been able to refill the air but I see the day is coming when I need to buy new tires and wheels while the tires still have enough lug left.

/ Rear Tire Ballast Fluid? #34  
I use water and antifreeze, my Father and Grandfather didn’t and have either had to repair rims or replace them altogether because what they used cause major rusting of the wheel when the tube is punctured. Generally the worst around the valve stem.

I’d rather run around dry and add weights than deal with rusty rims.

This one‘s not mine but an example of why you might want to avoid weight that can also cause corrosion.

View attachment 808384
Likely not due to water but rather due to calcium chloride which is ver corrosive.

/ Rear Tire Ballast Fluid? #35  
our current tractor has tubes for the fluid...both dealers at the new ones we are looking at do not use tubes for their non corrosive fluid. Any thoughts on this?

/ Rear Tire Ballast Fluid? #36  
our current tractor has tubes for the fluid...both dealers at the new ones we are looking at do not use tubes for their non corrosive fluid. Any thoughts on this?

Tubes were generally not used on fluid filled tubeless tires even with calcium chloride back in the day when calcium chloride was the fluid of choice. The main reasons there were tubes put in tubeless tires with calcium chloride were they put in a tube because the tire carcass leaked when run tubeless, and rarely because somebody wanted less than the standard 75% fill and thus the rim was not completely submerged in the fluid. Now people only put tubes in if the tire leaks. They will fill a tubeless tire to anything up to 75% full with alcohol/water or beet juice without a tube. Perhaps it was different in different areas but that is what it was in this region.

/ Rear Tire Ballast Fluid? #37  
Back when calcium was the normal fill fluid most tires were tube type tires so naturally they had tubes.
When tubeless tires came out around here if a tubeless tire was liquid filled it also got a tube to try and protect the rim.

/ Rear Tire Ballast Fluid? #38  
Thanks all...guess we will not worry about the tubes. Never on grass, push lots of snow. Do fluid in rear tires and have ballast for the 3 point. Still can make all 4 spin pretty easy depending on ice/snow cover.