Rear PTO engages normally then disengages after less than a minute.

/ Rear PTO engages normally then disengages after less than a minute. #1  

TractorTenderfoot

Tractor
John Deere 2032R & X350
My John Deere 2032R (although it could easily be a generic problem) Rear PTO engages normally, then disengages about 20-30 seconds later. The PTO light stays illuminated. The PTO will not reengage unless the engine is shut down and then re-started. I have the tech manual, but there is no description of the phenomenon that I can find. It seems clear that there is some electrical interconnect issue at fault.

One of the curious aspects is that the PTO runs for 20-30 seconds, never more than 40 seconds. If there were an electrical interconnect open, wouldn't it either fail to engage, or disengage instantly?

Similarly, it does not seem likely that it would be a fuse or loose connection because the PTO can be re-engaged after the engine has been re-started.

The tech manual "PTO Circuit Operation" doesn't seem to have any clues that would explain the PTO running, then disengaging and then after the engine is shut down and restarted, engaging normally (then disengaging). Rinse, lather, repeat.

Is there some pressure-related sensor that might open the circuit, such that if the hydraulic pressure were too high or too low, it would open the circuit to the PTO solenoid? Just guessing here at the risk of leading helpful troubleshooters down the wrong path.

Attachments

• DE7C2676-DA00-41DC-8A93-8A04EB08C85F_1_102_o.jpeg
    DE7C2676-DA00-41DC-8A93-8A04EB08C85F_1_102_o.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
   / Rear PTO engages normally then disengages after less than a minute. #2  
Simplest thing to check is the pto switch itself. Pull it out and check the connections, or maybe just stick a new one in.

/ Rear PTO engages normally then disengages after less than a minute. #3  
sounds like the seat switch. some tractors have a time delay to let you get off the seat and flip it up so you can run the pto without being in the seat. but I would think you would have issues with the tractor stalling when you move it. Is it HST

/ Rear PTO engages normally then disengages after less than a minute.
Simplest thing to check is the pto switch itself. Pull it out and check the connections, or maybe just stick a new one in.
Thank you.
I will check the PTO switch and report back.

sounds like the seat switch. some tractors have a time delay to let you get off the seat and flip it up so you can run the pto without being in the seat. but I would think you would have issues with the tractor stalling when you move it. Is it HST
Thank you for the suggestion. I have checked the seat switch and it is operating normally. Another clue that it couldn't be the seat switch is that when the parking brake is on and the transmission in neutral, the PTO can be engaged with nobody in the seat, which it does (then it quits in 20-30 seconds). This is how one might operate a chipper attached to the rear PTO.

/ Rear PTO engages normally then disengages after less than a minute. #6  
My John Deere 2032R (although it could easily be a generic problem) Rear PTO engages normally, then disengages about 20-30 seconds later. The PTO light stays illuminated. The PTO will not reengage unless the engine is shut down and then re-started. I have the tech manual, but there is no description of the phenomenon that I can find. It seems clear that there is some electrical interconnect issue at fault.

One of the curious aspects is that the PTO runs for 20-30 seconds, never more than 40 seconds. If there were an electrical interconnect open, wouldn't it either fail to engage, or disengage instantly?

Similarly, it does not seem likely that it would be a fuse or loose connection because the PTO can be re-engaged after the engine has been re-started.

The tech manual "PTO Circuit Operation" doesn't seem to have any clues that would explain the PTO running, then disengaging and then after the engine is shut down and restarted, engaging normally (then disengaging). Rinse, lather, repeat.

Is there some pressure-related sensor that might open the circuit, such that if the hydraulic pressure were too high or too low, it would open the circuit to the PTO solenoid? Just guessing here at the risk of leading helpful troubleshooters down the wrong path.
Does your tractor have a mid PTO? Maybe the PTO selector lever is disengaging?

Does your tractor have a mid PTO? Maybe the PTO selector lever is disengaging?
The tractor does have a mid PTO (with nothing attached). The selector lever provides the option of 1. Mid PTO only
2. Mid AND Rear PTO
3. Rear PTO only

When the lever is in either the "Mid and Rear" or "Rear only" position, the rear PTO (where the attachment is) is affected by the "engage, run 20-30 seconds, disengage" phenomenon. I do not have a mid PTO attachment, but plan to see if the mid PTO keeps running after the rear stops.

It doesn't seem likely that the selector lever is at fault, but I appreciate the idea.

/ Rear PTO engages normally then disengages after less than a minute. #8  
Does the rear PTO stay engaged without a load?

/ Rear PTO engages normally then disengages after less than a minute. #10  
If the PTO stays engaged unloaded, your tractor doesn't have the torque to do what you're asking it to. That brings the question if what you're asking is beyond the spec.s or your tractor/attachment is in need of repair or maintenance. If you're anything like I am you're probably due for a filter and oil change on your hydraulics. I would do that. I would also double check that the attachment spins freely by itself.

During lunch I looked at the repair manual for my tractor, a 3720. There's a test port for the PTO clutch. If your tractor doesn't stay engaged without a load you may want to think about trying that.