Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #1  

Walter63

Bronze Member
I have been trying a Befco 6' finish mower on lawn grass. It leaves behind clumps of grass. I was told that a side discharge won't do this. Ironic, since I bought the rear discharge because I thought the side discharge would leave windrows.
Is it possible to get a good cut and a clean lawn with a rear discharge mower, or do I need to go with a side discharge instead ?

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #2  
I have heard the same about rear discharge being better. I use a Land Pride side discharge and if I let the pasture get too high it will leave very noticeable windrows. Cutting twice a month it leaves a much better job.

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #3  
I have a 7" Farm King rear discharge and it doesn't do that. My old 5' side discharge did leave a windrow though.

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #4  
If it has safety chains across the back, remove them and it will do a much better job

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #5  
I only use rear discharge decks. Just sold my last 72" side discharge Steiner Deck. You couldn't give me a side discharge deck.

You will get unwanted cut grass no matter what. The longer the grass, the bigger the issue with windrows and clumping. I have owned and used both, and prefer the rear discharge. On the Steiner rear discharge, not too sure they should have kept the roller idea in the back though. Not really sure I like the idea of the cut grass being rolled down.

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge
It does have chains. I'll remove them and give it a try.
Thanks. I never would have thought of that.

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #7  
If you are leaving clumps with a rear discharge you would have significant wind rows with a side.

Cut more often and it won't be as bad.

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #8  
Sometimes you just have to go over an area again to spread things out. Or use a collection system. I use a powered sweeper with bin, Smyth Welding, when things have grown too much.

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #9  
A flail mower would leave a nice even carpet of grass. That's what I use to mow...well...everything, lawn included. You can get flails specifically designed for finish mowing. You'd have the same advantages as the rear discharge, with less chance of throwing things.

Here's a picture of 3' tall grass after mowing with the flail. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of my lawn mowed with the same flail, but it is a similar look just not as thick of a carpet. Mine is considered a course cut, not a finish cut. A finish cut has more blades and there is overlap of the blades to get a good clean cut.
20200607_150626.jpg

/ Rear discharge finish mower vs side discharge #10  
I have never owned a riding mower. I went from a push lawnboy mower to a FORD 917 Standard knife flail.

I still have a fine cut 917 that is never used, as I don't have a mid sized tractor anymore, but I would NEVER consider the cut quality of a flail close to a blade type mower. Plus, it's far easier to sharpen a blade, never mind the many knives on a finecut. I even had a special sharpening machine for regular 917 blades once. A lot of work, taking them off for sharpening.