Rear/Center Tractor Drawbar // USE TODAY

/ Rear/Center Tractor Drawbar // USE TODAY #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
For brute pulling tasks I use the rear/center tractor drawbar as my preferred attachment point. Photo #1 + #2

I never remove the 3/8" clevis-mount Chain Grab Hook from the rear/center drawbar. I usually pull heavy loads with 5/16" Grade 70 chain, which is a secure fit in the 3/8" Chain Grab Hook. 3/8" chain Grab Hook was purchased at Tractor Supply Company.

However for pulling vines a 'Brush Grubber' better grips vines than chain noosed to the vine with a chain slip hook. (A Brush Grubber is a near relative of a Pallet Puller. ) Photo #3

Today I pulled native Flordia grape vines from Oaks. Photo #4 + #5

Which resulted in a large pile of removed vines on the ground. Photo #6 + #7

I do not have a grapple. Instead, I use my Dirt Dog "All Purpose Plow" AKA: Field Cultivator, for transporting vine debris 1/2 mile to the burn pile. Top Link adjusted long, so points are 'fish hook' oriented. Photo #7 + #8

After vines are hooked into the implement and transport commenced, the former resting place of the vines is clean. Photo #9

During transport debris acts as a natural broom on dirt farm roads. Photo #10

At the burn pile I did use a Lopper to cut loose the vines from the Field Cultivator for the first time. Usually the Field Cultivator reliably self cleans in reverse, but not with this bulk load of dry vines. Photo #11

Field Cultivator is very effective at pulling out sub-surface vine roots, soft-wood roots and corms, such as wild climbing rose corms. LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/339095-dirt-dog-all-purpose-plow.html?highlight=

Attachments

• DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 812
  • DSC00540.JPG
    DSC00540.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 720
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC00677.JPG
    DSC00677.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 414
  • DSC00676.JPG
    DSC00676.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 436
  • DSC00674.JPG
    DSC00674.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 488
  • DSC00685.JPG
    DSC00685.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 430
  • DSC00683.JPG
    DSC00683.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 421
  • DSC00682.JPG
    DSC00682.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 357
  • DSC00681.JPG
    DSC00681.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 350
  • DSC00678.JPG
    DSC00678.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 479
  • DSC00680.JPG
    DSC00680.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 465
Last edited:
   / Rear/Center Tractor Drawbar // USE TODAY #2  
I can certainly see where that brush grabber would be a good choice. Although I've never used one, I am familiar with them.

I have a comment though. In looking at your pictures, you have the hook facing up. I had understood should the load become too great and the hook were to break, the chain would fly towards the tractor. However, if the hook were to face down, towards the ground and the hook snap, the force would be directed to the ground and not endanger the operator.

Please, I'm not being critical. Just an observation and a concern, is all.

You sure seemed to have your work cut out for you but you also seem to be making headway. Best to you!

/ Rear/Center Tractor Drawbar // USE TODAY
5/16" chain lays in the 3/8" Grab Hook, hook up, happily with gravity assist.

The chain is Grade 70. The material in the TSC chain grab hook is unspecified. Perhaps that is why TSC offers only 3/8" size, for bulk/strength.

I believe the 3/8" grab hook would fail prior to Grade 70, 5/16" chain. In failure, some of the mass of the hook will likely be controlled by the chain. Other bits probably of too little mass to be very dangerous to operator, a good distance removed from the rear/center drawbar.

I never, NEVER operate with spectators near my work area.

Good point. I will ponder.

Last edited:
   / Rear/Center Tractor Drawbar // USE TODAY #4  
Nice work! So you're dragging the vines to your neighbor's yard for planting? Do they produce edible grapes or are they just nuisance vines that choke/kill the trees?
BTW, what's the copper bushing for on the Weed Grabber?

Speaking of the best pulling point/preferred point to drag most anything, it IS the drawbar location under the bell housing of the rear end, which you seem to be aware of, but some here may not be aware of. It is for obvious reasons. lowest pont of gravity and helps to prevent roll overs backwards from pulling from higher points on the tractor.
Thanks for posting, and good pics too!:thumbsup:

The bushing is to give limited protection to the Brush Grubber tension spring, which is raked by brush. Copper material is to ward off arthritis in the spring. :)

Grapes only fruit on new growth. So wild grapes ripen high in the trees where the birds get them.

Before anyone comments: I DESERVE A BEATING FOR NOT HAVING THE ROPS UP.
Confession is good for the soul.

Last edited:
   / Rear/Center Tractor Drawbar // USE TODAY #6  
I can certainly see where that brush grabber would be a good choice. Although I've never used one, I am familiar with them.

I have a comment though. In looking at your pictures, you have the hook facing up. I had understood should the load become too great and the hook were to break, the chain would fly towards the tractor. However, if the hook were to face down, towards the ground and the hook snap, the force would be directed to the ground and not endanger the operator.

Please, I'm not being critical. Just an observation and a concern, is all.

You sure seemed to have your work cut out for you but you also seem to be making headway. Best to you!

Only problem I see with the grab hook pointing down is gravity. The chain would keep falling off the hook if any slack got in the chain.

Two photos from 10/16/2018.

Dragging two junk trees to the burn pit. In this case, easier to drag from the drawbar using two chains than to cut into shorter lengths and carry with the Loader on pallet forks.

Chains are intentionally attached to logs so chains do not contact ground. After drag along the trail tractor and load will transition to a hard road to reach the burn pit. Hard road will quickly abrade chain, reducing chain strength.

ROPS down because I was working under limbs.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_187.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_187.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 280
  • fullsizeoutput_188.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_188.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 625
Last edited:
Here are rear/center drawbar photos during Hurricane Irene cleanup.

Attachments

• DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 327
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 287
   / Rear/Center Tractor Drawbar // USE TODAY #9  
I use the same brush grubber and its works awesome. If you have a helper working with you, remove the spring and its way less cumbersome this way.

/ Rear/Center Tractor Drawbar // USE TODAY #10  
Wish my land was that flat. :)

Would there be any safety advantage to covering the chain with a piece of hose? or something? I worry about something giving way, and the chain hurtling toward the operator.