Ready to cry over my TC-24D

/ Ready to cry over my TC-24D #11  
I still bet you it is the hydro pump. My pump didn't show any thing either. When they took my pump apart I asked them to make note of anything they saw that was "bad" and let me know. They said they couldn't find anything, but with the seal kit installed in the pump, my tractor is now completely dry. I've put 45 fairly rough hours on it since the first of June without issue.

/ Ready to cry over my TC-24D
Thanks Jim. I will mention your experience to them this morning. They have gone back and forth on saying they found O rings and seals that should be replaced but none that were damaged or obviously bad, and have said on at least 3 occasions that they found no issues inside regarding actual leaks. The steel hydro line they found leaking later was with a camera, basically arthroscopic surgery, and it was in fact cracked. How? They don't know. I asked about any castings, they said the leak is coming from the area ahead of anything that stores the hydro oil. You are probably right, that leaves either the hydro pump itself or an improper replacement on one of the other seals. Hindsight being what it is, they should have done the seals on the pump, they claimed it was a major job? I don't feel I should be paying the labor to do the same job twice, we'll see how that goes. We're not talking $100 or $200 here, was $1500 in labor alone prior to finding the steel hydro line.

I still bet you it is the hydro pump. My pump didn't show any thing either. When they took my pump apart I asked them to make note of anything they saw that was "bad" and let me know. They said they couldn't find anything, but with the seal kit installed in the pump, my tractor is now completely dry. I've put 45 fairly rough hours on it since the first of June without issue.

Ding Ding Ding Ding! Status update: Spent about an hour at the shop yesterday, no mechanics there but the manager was. Told me they put the tractor up on a lift, ran it while they used their scope camera to poke around and found the input seal on the hydro pump leaking! At least he admitted that symptom was consistent with my explanation of the bolts coming loose a few years ago and that I probably hit the nail on the head with my theory on stressing the seal. I said that I understand hindsight is 20/20 and its easy to say I told you so, but why didn't you start with scoping that seal and save all the labor and aggravation? He is still convinced they "slowed" down the leak and there was more than one, I'm not so sure about that and wonder if they are just trying to justify all the labor as accomplishing something. This leak started a few years ago, I "fixed" it by tightening the bolts at the split and told them back then about the problem. When it started this time, there wasn't anything gradual about it, it just started a steady drip only while running.

He also admitted that they don't like to disturb the factory installed o-rings and replace all those they have done in the process, many of which might not have needed replacing if they split it where they needed to in order to get at the pump.

So she gets split again tomorrow on their dime. In the meantime, they are working up some numbers for a trade on a Boomer 24. I really don't want a new tractor, but not sure I want to put all this money into my old one that will now have been split twice with all the factory seals broken and replaced. Unfortunately, the new model can't use my existing FEL or MMM, so they too have to be new.

Oh! And without a machine to mow my yard and the neighbor's yard (mowed it for years, makes one continuous nice looking yard) I worked on my old rider Gravely that I sold to that neighbor 10 years ago. Ethanol ate away at the gasket material that is part of the diaphragm in the fuel pump. Sprayed gas all over the exhaust, not a good feature! Got good old permatex form-a-gasket to work on it, let it sit most of the day, and fired her up. That over-built old machine mowed pretty good considering the dull blades, got the whole yard done. No hydraulic lift, no power steering, "grippy" engagement clutches, no suspension seat, and a loud vibrating single cylinder Kholer 12 hp thumping along under my fanny, but she did the job at almost 30 years old! Sure makes me miss the comfort of my TC though!

/ Ready to cry over my TC-24D #15  
I understand missing the comfort of the TC. I was using the F-I-Ls Tradesman (MTD) with a 27HP Briggs and a 54" deck and no power steering. Sure made me miss my New Holland. Especially at fill up time. We were mowing about half the normal grass just because it couldn't do the whole yard as what we do with the New Holland but we used about a gallon more gas than I do diesel doing the whole yard.

Good luck if you decide to do the trade.

Well Jim, it's like this. They completely split the machine again and removed the hydro pump. Ordered a seal kit for it rather than just a seal, I need to get into the business of making those! From what I could tell, three shaft seals and a paper gasket in the event you ever need to actually split the hydro pump - $292. Well, the mechanic still could not see where a seal appeared bad, but he did notice the gasket weeping! First time they have seen that, lucky me! So the hydro pump has been split, gasket was found to have cracked at the top, replaced that and all the seals that came with the kit. Re-assembled, they've run it for a few hours without a drop of hydro fluid leak!!!!!

In summary, they split the tractor, replaced all the O-rings, replaced the thermostat that was sticking open, re-assembled, still leaking. Found a cracked steel hydro line, replaced it, still leaking. Split again, split hydro pump, replaced all seals and gaskets in that, re-assembled, and done. 5 weeks in the shop (they offered on several occasions to provide a loaner for mowing), $700 in parts, filters, fluids, and "shop supplies", $1800 labor, and of course the 8% NY state government fee. They figure they have over 50 hours labor in it with it taking three tries and two splits, but of course the ate half of that since it was their mistake not getting it right the first time. After the first re-assembly, they had 20 hours labor in it. They charged me another 4 hours for the hydro pump rebuild. A lot of labor, but seeing what was involved during my numerous visits to check up on it, I think it was fair. At least I have all new filters and hydro fluid, it was due for its 300 hour service. Even the front axle is done, they had just done a wheel bearing job on in June.

So it came down to $2700 repair after 11 years, or $15,000 plus tax to trade up to a comparable NH or Kioti, neither of which I like better than mine. Still, as the name of this thread implies, enough to make you cry.

/ Ready to cry over my TC-24D #18  
What an ordeal! Hopefully that's the last time you'll have to have it in the shop for a while.

/ Ready to cry over my TC-24D #19  
That sounds exactly like mine, they couldn't "see" anything wrong with mine either, but obviously for both of ours, it was the issue. Glad it is fixed and taken care of.

/ Ready to cry over my TC-24D #20  
I was following this thread and noted your comment about “getting out of this state” and finally I see later it is NY, yes we are a way overpriced mommy-state. Taxes are insane.