Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend

/ Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend #31  
Well, he isn't the biggest one I've seen running around, but he was the biggest one I saw this opening weekend, and the biggest buck I've ever taken. He will provide some good meat for the freezer. Actually hunted off our deck. I've got a doe tag yet to fill.

View attachment 447379

That's a good looking deer. Nice thick body

/ Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend #32  
I shot a decent 10 point Friday afternoon. I've been seeing quite a few deer, with about eight nice 8 points and a 9 point, all looked to be young though. I'll probably go again this weekend and take my 11YO daughter. The bucks should go into rut this week. We'll probably just shoot doe's unless we see either of the two 300# hogs that have been showing up on the game cam.

Not the best photo, but you get the idea.
IMG_1113.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend #33  
This was on my cousins game cam.Young buck taking a selfie. Surprise!!!Deer.jpg

/ Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend
Congrats Gordon, that's very nice buck!!!! We are still batting zero here. Hoping this latest storm gets them moving around again. I think it's just too warm and they have acorns everywhere.

/ Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend #35  
Eddie,
Another guy was at the lease since Tuesday and he didn't see much. Then finally, Friday night the weather started breaking and we had drizzling rain for the rest of the weekend, that turned the deer onto the feeders for the weekend. This coming weekend sounds like another cold front, so maybe they'll be stocking up on calories again.

That's what I'm hoping. Temps are expected to get down to 33 degrees Saturday and Sunday morning. We'll be out every evening, and maybe a few mornings this week if possible. I really want Karen to get her first whitetail, so there isn't a good reason for me to go on my own.

/ Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend #37  
I got back home about a week ago from our annual hunt in central Texas.

We had a really great hunt. We were 10 hunters and we brought home 22 whitetail and 25 axis and 3 hogs. Over the past few years, we have been taking a few axis, but the population has been growing. When we went for our work week in September, we saw tons of axis.

So, the landowner, who is also one of the 10 hunters, told us to shoot as many axis as we wanted to. That was fun.

Personally, I ended up with 2 whitetail, 2 hogs, and 6 axis. I had a new rifle and new scope this hunt and it was dead on. Overall, it was a great hunt.

Now, the rifle season opens this weekend at my lease here in Louisiana. Getting ready for that. I won't shoot one here, unless it is a real trophy. In fact, I've been hunting this property for 6 years, and I killed my first buck last season.

/ Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend #38  
Well, Sunday, some poacher shot an 8 point buck in a county park on a hiking trail with a .22 at 4:00pm in the afternoon. Some hikers confronted him and he left. Had two kids with him, too. So somebody's getting them.... :rolleyes:

I've seen tons of scrapes on our property. I don't hunt, but I let my neighbor and his family hunt it. Haven't heard from them yet this year.

I got back home about a week ago from our annual hunt in central Texas.

We had a really great hunt. We were 10 hunters and we brought home 22 whitetail and 25 axis and 3 hogs. Over the past few years, we have been taking a few axis, but the population has been growing. When we went for our work week in September, we saw tons of axis.

So, the landowner, who is also one of the 10 hunters, told us to shoot as many axis as we wanted to. That was fun.

Personally, I ended up with 2 whitetail, 2 hogs, and 6 axis. I had a new rifle and new scope this hunt and it was dead on. Overall, it was a great hunt.

Now, the rifle season opens this weekend at my lease here in Louisiana. Getting ready for that. I won't shoot one here, unless it is a real trophy. In fact, I've been hunting this property for 6 years, and I killed my first buck last season.

Sounds like a great trip!!!! We've been enjoying our axis and sika steaks. I don't care if I get a whitetail, I find them to be challenging to cook and have gotten to the point I just make the entire deer into sausages.

/ Ready for Dear Season to start this weekend #40  
Anymore I just hunt for a nice buck for the freezer, usually shoot one doe a year too, as I have a good friend to share it with...

Anyway, I shot this 6 point opening evening,

standard.jpg

It's the first deer out of the new blind I built this fall...

standard.jpg

I milled all the lumber out of storm damaged tree's, from here on my place.

SR