re-sealing some old Kubota B8200 FEL cylinders

/ re-sealing some old Kubota B8200 FEL cylinders #1  

dfkrug

Tractor
05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe, XN08 mini-X
I agreed to fix the leaks on a friend's old 80s era Kubota B8200.

This tractor is common around here, and the way the cylinder goes together is just about my least favorite. The end cap (gland) uses a springy wire that is captured by a groove inside the lip of the cylinder barrel.

I have done this type before, but I am not an "expert". Probably only rebuilt 25-30 cylinders in my life.

Attachments

• BF300A_cyls.jpg
    BF300A_cyls.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 44
   / re-sealing some old Kubota B8200 FEL cylinders
The wire is always stuck in there, so the first thing to do it to free up the gland by pushing it in just a bit.

I use 2 small pieces of steel (A) that will act on the gland, but stay inside the inner diameter of the cylinder barrel. Then I whack gently at B.

Attachments

• BF300A_cap.jpg
    BF300A_cap.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 36
Once the springy wire is freed up, how do you get it out? I am not able get a small screwdriver or any of my dental-style picking tools underneath the wire.

So, I drilled a little hole and pushed it out. Anyone else have a solution they have used?

Attachments

• BF300A_cap_3.jpg
    BF300A_cap_3.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 34
And here is the cap and piston, disassembled. I used the rod like a dent-puller to pound them out.

A lot of the goo seems to be grease used in the last assembly.

Attachments

• BF300A_retaining_ring.jpg
    BF300A_retaining_ring.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 42
  • BF300A_piston_cap.jpg
    BF300A_piston_cap.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 47
Next, I remove the piston nut.

Since it takes at least 300 ft-lbs of torque, I stick a rod in the cross-tube, park the tractor on it, then use a long breaker bar.

Attachments

• BF300A_nut.jpg
    BF300A_nut.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 40
Here is the gland.

Only the wiper (A) and the gland seal (B) needed replacement. The rub-ring (C) seems to be metal, made of plain bearing type material.

Kubota actually still sells a seal kit for this cylinder, but it is listed at $175, or about $200 with tax and shipping! Crazy.

So I just bought A and B, plus the piston seal for $25/cylinder from Hercules.

Attachments

• BF300A_cap_2.jpg
    BF300A_cap_2.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 44
In my experience, getting the new gland seal in is very tough if you don't buy the Special Tool. 25mm rods are much more difficult than even 30mm rods.

I recommend this tool.

For the piston seal, I like to heat it and the piston in hot water before sliding it on. I then clamp it overnight with a hose clamp to assist in assembly.

Attachments

• seal_rod.jpg
    seal_rod.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 43
For contrast, this is a cylinder rebuild on a modern cylinder. This one is off my Chinese 1-ton excavator. The rod was dinged in shipping, so the gland seal started leaking after about 50hr of use.

At the time this happened, I had a spare cylinder, so I swapped it out, putting the leaker on the shelf for later.

This one has a screw-on threaded piston, with its own seal underneath. That sure seems unnecessary.

Thread-locker was also used, so unscrewing the piston was difficult, requiring a giant adjustable wrench and cheater pipe. Prob needed 500ft-lbs.

Attachments

• piston_cap_seal.jpg
    piston_cap_seal.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 41
  • rod_piston.jpg
    rod_piston.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 39
  • rod_piston_2.jpg
    rod_piston_2.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 37
Oh yeah, the best thing about the seal on my Xiniu excavator: the maker was kind enough to stamp the size right on the side, and I was able to buy one, plus a spare for less than $10, total cost, shipped from China.

Attachments

• rod_seal.jpg
    rod_seal.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 36