Re-decking trailer

/ Re-decking trailer #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
It's time to redeck my 8 year old equipment trailer. What would work best? 2x6, 2x8, 2x10? It seems like a wider board might split easier. Factory is 2x6.

/ Re-decking trailer #2  
Use what came on it.

Do you know the board bowing trick? I redeck 4 or so trailers a year a year and can do one in under a hour. It takes some people 2 days.

Chris

/ Re-decking trailer #4  
Well if its 2x6 now then the fractional dimensions would have to be the same at the end obviously if you use something else. I use a combo of all of those on my car trailer and yes the wider boards will split easier/warp worse least they do for me. Does the trailer have angle iron welded at the ends of the boards to hold them? (that's what Chris is talking about)

/ Re-decking trailer #5  
2x6 would be easier if some have lateral bows in them. If the boards are not full length stagger the joints.

Uh, I'm in the group that take a few days to install a deck but I bolt at each crossmember and add an extra layer a foot wide on each wheel track.:D

Will you be using self tapping screws or ordinary bolts?

/ Re-decking trailer
My trailer has the boards captured by a welded bar at each end. Chris, can you give me a brief description of your system?

/ Re-decking trailer #7  
Is the board bowing trick, where you bow a full length board in the middle, so it'll be short enough to fit under the captures at the ends?

/ Re-decking trailer #8  
My trailer has the boards captured by a welded bar at each end. Chris, can you give me a brief description of your system?

First off look under the trailer and look for wiring, ect. Take your chain saw and run it from side to side between cross members to remove old boards. I usually cut between the back and last support because there is less wiring, ect.

Next cut new boards to length. Now you can put in about 60% of the new boards by cocking them in sideways and beating them in place with a sledge hammer. You want them tight because they will shrink.

The last few boards you will need a helper and about a 16" piece of scrap 2X4. Place the front end of the deck board on the "cup" and place your scrap piece of 2X4 vertically on the back axle. Now have your helper, preferably a fat buddy stand on the back of the board bowing it by the rear cup. Take your sledge hammer and knock out the vertical piece of 2X4 and it will snap into place.

You may have to use the front axle or adjust the length of the 2X4 for your particular trailer.

I do them from time to time using my FEL bucket to apply the down pressure in place of a fat buddy.

Hope this helps.

Chris

/ Re-decking trailer #9  
I've always heard of that method used on 14-16 foot or longer trailers. I wonder if it would work on a 6-8 foot trailer using 2x6's.

Anyone tried it with a short trailer?

Bruce

/ Re-decking trailer #10  
That sounds great for the bed boards, but how do you get the last board in on a sloped tail section...they're so darn short.