Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #21  

I had an interesting conversation with the construction foreman for the company I'm doing some grading jobs for. When I first met with him, he asked what kind of tractor I have. When I told him, he said he'd used hydrostatics before and hated them because they didn't have any power. I asked him what experience he'd had with them and he told me about a couple of older JD and MF Ag tractors his dad had. I told he ought to look again, but he said "no, thanks". Then, when I finished the job in half the time he thought it should've taken, he said "you did that with that HST?" Then, on the next job, he came out to look. Finally he said he could see it was way faster than the GST (he's got an L3600), but he still doubted it had as much power. So I asked him how I could prove whether it did or not. He said he wasn't sure, so I said "Well, suppose I load the front bucket up with as much gravel as it'll hold, we put the 800 lb tiller on the back, and I push up against that big tree? If I can spin all 4 tires until they dig holes in the ground, would you agree there's enough power? I mean, if I could get more power to the ground, what would I do with it?" He said "You mean you think you can spin those tires with that much weight on it? Sure, that would sell me." So I had him hold a 4x4 up against the tree to protect it and proceeded to dig 4 holes right in the packed clay. He said his next tractor would be an HST. And I guarantee you that nothing less would've sold him.

Mark

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #22  

I never said I wasn't alittle well alot of a thick head. But to me the M4700 is in the running for a update tractor. But I've got a year to decide.

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #23  

Maybe by then it'll have HST and be worth considering. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #24  

That was pretty impressive feat. Now the time it took to complete the job, was it the trans or was it a good operator or mabe alittle of each. Your tring to sell me on that hydro aren't you.
This goes back to the fake oil I'm still up in the air about both.
But it's stories like that to help in my decision.
It's easier for me to buy property than purchase a tractor.
Decision wise that is not money wise. Well time will tell--what model--what trans--cab or not--what color that is one thing that is decided thank goodness for that./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #25  

I'd say the time was 40% HST, 40% extra hydraulics (guage wheels), and 20% operator. I'm not as experienced an operator as the guy who estimated the time it would take is. But I don't waste much time, and I try to think through a project before I get started so I don't have to do anything twice. Still, I expect I'll be quite a bit faster after I do a few more of them.

As for the question of whether I'm trying to sell you on HST - well, I guess there's no question I'm telling you that I think it's the best choice, but I don't have any personal stake in your decision, either. As much as I think HST is by far the best choice for most people, if you were going to be using it for plowing all day long, I'd recommend you get a gear transmission. And I don't mean GST, either - I mean a plain gear transmission. But I'd also suggest you get a real ag tractor. Otherwise, I don't think any other transmission is a match for an HST in terms of versatility, safety, productivity, you name it. The only other thing I'm as convinced of the superiority of for tractors is diesel engines.

Mark

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #26  

Rim Guard is made by Daly Manufacturing and is used for ballast in tires. It's a byproduct of making sugar from sugar beets. Supposed to weigh about ten pounds per gallon and be non corrossive and non freezing. Something to look into for my tires. Sounds pretty good but can the price justify itself, thats something I have to find out. Gordon

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #27  

Yeah...but if I'd a been there I could have put my BX in the bucket of my GST L35, hung my Ford 1710 in the air with my backhoe and pushed on your rear implement, I would have pushed you and the tree out of the way. Ooops, I was daydreaming...sorry Mark and guys.

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #28  

you guys are sure making this hard. tires transmisson's I don't know what to do?????? mark, what are you running on the front of your 4310, and what's the deal with custom wheels for the front?? I was thinking of trying R4 on the front. Gorden thanks for the info on the rim guard, do you happen to know how I can get a hold of the comp? I don't think I have seen you post what flavor of tires you are running?? BOY you guy's sure give a fella alot to think about!!!!!! And now mark has to go and tell us about his little demo their!!WOW!!! and I thought I had made up my mind on what trans. to buy?????????????????

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310

Well Mark IM impressed! Have you found any short comings on the 4310? the dealer is pushing 4310 price wise witch I don't understand when I look at carvers its only $1200.00. diff. I think I mite fax their stuff to my dealer and see what he say's. My real only reson to go up to the 4610 is the loader and hyd. gpm. Any thoughts???

RICH

/ Re: buying new L4610 vs L4310 #30  

Rich, that's about as far as it goes, all right; I've "heard" of rim guard, but don't know anything and haven't seen it. Naturally, it sounded good, but the guy who told me about it had only heard a sales pitch and didn't really know anything about it either./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird