Razors

/ Razors #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I just saw a TV ad for an old fashion double edge razor! You know the kind where you twist the bottom of the handle and the "bomb bay" doors open to reveal the blade. I remember when I was young it was the only kind of "safety" razor you could get. No disposables.

It's strange how things come and go.

/ Razors #2  
Yep, I saw that commercial and couldn't believe it, but I do remember shaving with them back in the old days. I still have one of the older army issue double edge razors, still in the box, and another box with 100 blades in it, wonder if they're still any good. I also have one of those razors that belonged to my grandfather, along with his soap mug and brush, but I'd never think about using them.

/ Razors #3  
I attempted to go back to that style of razor and it was horrible! Bought a great handle, really good blades, and it was no where near as close of a shave as todays multi blades. Todays razor cuase much less blood-letting as well.

/ Razors #4  
I attempted to go back to that style of razor and it was horrible! Bought a great handle, really good blades, and it was no where near as close of a shave as todays multi blades. Todays razor cuase much less blood-letting as well.

I have a problem using the disposables due to nicks around my lips. almost always get at least one. Never did using the old 2 blade cartridges. Price of the cartridges made me change to disposable but I'll be going back when the disposable pack runs dry.

Harry K

/ Razors #5  
Ive been shaving with safety razors for about the last 5 years or so.

I use a Merkur Futur. Made in Germany. Adjustable so you can shave as close as a straight or leave stubble if you want. I use Feather blades, http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Hi-Stainless-Platinum-Double-Blades/dp/B001G5HZCY which are made by a surgical blade company out of Japan, and are about the sharpest thing Ive ever seen. Even considering that these are premium blades, they are still much, much cheaper than Gillette Mach whatevers..

Honestly I was a little disappointed to see Rick the huckster shiliing them on TV. Im sure the package he's selling for $19.95 or whatever it is, will be crap. Cheap blades and a Cheap handle will lead to major razor burn and cuts. In the end, it will give safety razors a bad name.

Anyways, you dont have to buy that setup, and I wouldnt.

Go to any local antiques store or eBay and you can get some genuine old school safetys for not much money. I have an old Gillette comb style safety I use that dates back to the 1930's give or take. It shaves as good today as it did 80 years ago.

Go over to BadgerandBlade.com if your interested in getting back into wet shaving and safety razors.

One thing, if you want a close shave, you cant do it all at once with a safety, even with the best blades or handles. Its a two or three pass process. Good cream, like Trufitt and Hill or the much less expensive Col. Conk Amazon.com: Col. Conk Worlds Famous Shaving Soap, Bay Rum (Net Weight 2.25 Oz): Health & Personal Care and a decent brush helps to make lather that will last for two or three passes.

/ Razors #6  
Everyone's beard and skin are a little different...I get the best shave with the original 'Good News'...(plain jane) no swivel etc...'Bics' are the worst...horrible IMO...!

/ Razors #7  
Mantic, a well respected member of Badger made this review of the razor Rick is selling.It also has good tips on shaving with a DE razor vs a multiblade modern.

/ Razors #8  
X2 on the safety razor. I switched to a safety razor and shaving brush several years ago. Blades are cheaper, and the result is a much closer shave. Not going back to the disposables.