Rattlesnake avoidance training works!

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works! #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
When we built our house in the desert 8 years ago, we were concerned with our dog Tess and rattlesnakes. We took her to rattlesnake avoidance training.

Last night she went to a spot about 10' from the back door and gave out this strange bark. I looked out and there was a small rabbit about 20' out so I opened the door to let her out. She usually will go right to the door and bark continuously for rabbits. She hesitated for a moment and then charged out the door. She's getting too old to chase them any more so she just took a couple of steps toward it and then went off to do her business.

We were watching TV and about 15 or 20 minutes later I wondered "where is the dog"? She does not like the heat and it was still over 100* out. She is usually back at the door within a couple of minutes.

I walked over to the door and just outside was a Diamondback. We have had them at the door before and come to think of it, she barked at that one too, but I saw it and did not let her out.

Anyway, I went out the other door to look for Tess and she was all the way at the far end of the fenced yard, about 100' away from the snake. I had a hard time coaxing her to come to me as she had to come in the general direction of the snake.

Needless to say, the snake went to Diamondback heaven on the wrong end of my .22 magnum with snake shot. It's the second one I sent in the last 2 weeks.

When the dog gets trained, they tell you to come back yearly for "retraining". After 8 years, Tess still has a good memory! The $85 fee for training was a good investment vs. a $500 vet fee and a very sick dog.

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works! #3  
Back when I was seriously into duck hunting and AKC retrievers. All of the guys from Texas and that part of US swore by rattlesnake training. If a 10 or 20 K dog gets bitten by one it is a bad day plus messing up a expensive trial or hunting trip.
We are supposed to have rattlesnakes here but I have never seen one in NC. I did have a dog get hit by a copperhead once. Regular house dog, pet. It was still a $ 1000 dollar + type thing.
Glad training is still working.
Scott

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works! #4  
A buddy lives out in the desert near Tucson. They lost one of their dogs to a rattlesnake bite a couple years ago.

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works! #5  
Interesting. So how do they train the dogs for this?

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works! #6  
Glad your dog is OK, I had not heard of rattler training, fill us in if you can.

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works! #7  
I've not done it with my dogs but really should as we have plenty of the nasty things around here. I believe it involves a de-venomed snake and electric shock of some kind, zapping the dog as it tries to sniff or approach the snake. Some folks find it too harsh but compared to the suffering (and for a small dog, probable death) resulting from a snakebite, I'd have to disagree.

One of our dogs, gone now for many years, was a 135 lb. Cane Corso (Sicilian mastiff) and he was deathly afraid of rattlesnakes, even dead ones. We didn't teach him and I have no idea how he got that way but it paid off on more than one occasion - he'd smell rattlesnake and freak out, giving me a chance to draw a bead on the thing. Also had a Border Collie who would go ballistic if a snake was around, barking and circling, but wouldn't go near it. The three we have now aren't that smart.

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works!
As best as I can remember from 8 years ago, this is what they do. First they install an "industrial" strength shock collar. The then lead the dog to an open area where a muzzled rattle snake is under a 5 gallon bucket. The remove the bucket and lead the dog toward the snake. When the dog starts to pull toward the snake it gets a large shock. :eek: Just about all the dogs give a large yelp so it must be fairly intense. The dog can see, hear and smell the first snake.

Then on to the second snake which is in a bag. That one the dog can hear and smell but not see. Shock sequence is repeated. :eek: :eek:

The third snake is open like the first, but for this one they have you stand on the other side of the snake about 20' away and call your dog. No shock this time. This one confuses the dog as he wants to come to you because he has just been "bit", but is now afraid of the snake. They finally figure it out and make give the snake a wide berth to come to you.

Takes about 5 minutes.

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works! #9  
As best as I can remember from 8 years ago, this is what they do. First they install an "industrial" strength shock collar. The then lead the dog to an open area where a muzzled rattle snake is under a 5 gallon bucket. The remove the bucket and lead the dog toward the snake. When the dog starts to pull toward the snake it gets a large shock. :eek: Just about all the dogs give a large yelp so it must be fairly intense. The dog can see, hear and smell the first snake.

Then on to the second snake which is in a bag. That one the dog can hear and smell but not see. Shock sequence is repeated. :eek: :eek:

The third snake is open like the first, but for this one they have you stand on the other side of the snake about 20' away and call your dog. No shock this time. This one confuses the dog as he wants to come to you because he has just been "bit", but is now afraid of the snake. They finally figure it out and make give the snake a wide berth to come to you.

Takes about 5 minutes.

Cool, I did not know about it. Thanks.

/ Rattlesnake avoidance training works! #10  
Great to know! I've never heard of snake training either. Years ago, my old Rover was bit in nose by copperhead. He was fine, but after that, he became a great snake dog! He'd run around behind the rascal and grab him quick and shake the snake to death. Was never bitten again.