Ran it Out of Fuel

/ Ran it Out of Fuel #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Much as it embarrasses me to admit this, I just ran my cherished M59 out of fuel. It happened like this: Just back from vacation, turned the fuel tap the wrong way, and let it idle while sizing up a downed tree for dissection. Then I heard it cough....knew immediately what was going on....sprinted and got there just in time to turn the tap the other way as the motor died. The moment I turned the tap to the on position the fuel filter filled right up, but of course it won't start now.

Darn! Thirty years of owning my own diesels and this is the first time I've let one run dry. Growing up, I remember it being a fairly common chore on some neighbor's field tractors....particularly the ones who always tried to get the last foot plowed before refueling. At that time some tractors had a manual lever on the fuel pump and bleeder valves on the fuel lines. I haven't looked yet to see which - if either - of these are on the Kubota...but I'm hoping.

It's not a job I look forward to, so any hints are welcome and I'll share what we learn. Even if it's just not to do that again.
Thank,
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Ran it Out of Fuel #2  
No problem mon! Look on the side of your injection pump where the fuel line goes into the top. There is a fitting with a wheel on it. Open that wheel, get on the tractor, and crank till it starts (no more than 30 second on the starter at a time, it will get too hot). It will fire right up, then, get off the tractor and turn the wheel to close the valve. Simple as that!

/ Ran it Out of Fuel #3  
Yep, pretty simple on the L, not so much on the M.

/ Ran it Out of Fuel #4  
I was backfilling a septic ditch with my dozer when on of the tracks slipped into the trench. I could almost get out so I played a bit and when the track started digging down near the septic line I figured it was time to just pull it out with the backhoe. Didn't think much of it but the fuel pick up was sucking air for the entire time and it died.

I tied everything I could think of, from cracking the vent/ drain on the filters to cracking the lines where they bolt to the injectors. Even though I had fuel coming out of the lines to the injector it still wouldn't start and I didn't like all the time I was putting on the starter motor. I ended up taking a squirt bottle with diesel in it and sprayed it into the air intake after removing the air filter. It would start then want to die so I would spray more in it. It took a good 5 minutes before the pressure built up in the injectors and it would run again.

/ Ran it Out of Fuel #5  
The engine in the M59 is basically a large L series engine, much easier to bleed than some of the other M-series. Should be no problem.

/ Ran it Out of Fuel
No problem mon! Look on the side of your injection pump where the fuel line goes into the top. There is a fitting with a wheel on it. Open that wheel, get on the tractor, and crank till it starts (no more than 30 second on the starter at a time, it will get too hot). It will fire right up, then, get off the tractor and turn the wheel to close the valve. Simple as that!

Got up this morning and the tractor was buried under half a foot of snow....so I didn't get to re-prime the fuel system today. I'm glad to hear that it is so easy to do on this motor. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get in there and do it and then post the details.
thanks, rScotty

/ Ran it Out of Fuel

Thank you Texas Fella, in fact it was pretty much as you said. I went out there with all sorts of wrenches and anticipated an afternoon of bleeding lines and hassles....but that's not what happened.

What actually happened is that I looked into my owner's manual and they said the same thing you did.. No tools required, just use fingers to open up the air vent valve on top of the fuel injection pump. BTW, that valve is located a couple of inches above the oil fill cap.
Cranked it for maybe ten seconds and it coughed once and started right up. Then went around and closed the valve. A complete non-event.
Thank you, and thanks to Kubota.
rScotty

/ Ran it Out of Fuel #8  
What actually happened is that I looked into my owner's manual and they said the same thing you did.. No tools required, just use fingers to open up the air vent valve on top of the fuel injection pump. BTW, that valve is located a couple of inches above the oil fill cap.
Cranked it for maybe ten seconds and it coughed once and started right up. Then went around and closed the valve. A complete non-event.
Thank you, and thanks to Kubota.
rScotty

Reading the manual is generally the first step!!! And often a big help.:thumbsup::D

/ Ran it Out of Fuel #9  
Don't feel bad...

I had a professional grading company doing work for me and the owner asked to use my D3 Caterpillar Dozer...

I left the key for them... Came home one night and wondered why my Dozer was parked at the far property corner... come to find out, the contractor said his operator said it just quit and they tried to start it till the battery ran done... they had been using it for 3 days prior.

Ran it bone dry out of fuel... you could say I was not a happy camper!

/ Ran it Out of Fuel #10  
I have an L2950 I have never run out of fuel but if i do will this also be the same procedure for me?:confused2: