Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
Some interesting news at autoblog - RAM pickup towing ratings using the new SAE standard system. The article says only Ram pickups will use SAE ratings in 2015.

From autoblog:
The new 2015 Ram SAE J2807 towing capacities are as follows:

Ram 1500 with 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 7,600 pounds
Ram 1500 with 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 9,200 pounds
Ram 1500 with 5.7-liter Hemi V8 10,650 pounds
Ram 2500 with 6.4-liter Hemi V8 16,300 pounds
Ram 2500 with 6.7-liter Cummins inline-six diesel 17,970 pounds
Ram 3500 with 6.4-liter Hemi V8 16,420 pounds
Ram 3500 with 6.7-liter Cummins inline-six diesel 30,000 pounds

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #2  
And....??

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #3  
Are we astroturfing the Ram news? Shure feels like astroturfing to have 2 posts with almost the identical wording within 10 hrs of the same day posted.

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #4  
The new 2015 Ram SAE J2807 towing capacities are as follows:

J2807 ratings do not have any value if RAM is the only one to follow it. They all need to follow the same standard before the ratings have real value.

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #5  
There has been a lot of talk about how Ram 1/2 tons have crappy load and towing ratings. I think the point I was trying to make in my post below was maybe GM and Ford would also have crappy ratings because they aren't all following the same rules. I don't know this for a fact but its makes sense.

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #6  
J2807 ratings do not have any value if RAM is the only one to follow it. They all need to follow the same standard before the ratings have real value.

Not that I care much but as an engineer I would argue the only ones that have any value are ones to a standard. If every manufacturer can make up their criteria for their tow ratings than they all mean nothing. Except of course when things get legal, and if you're within even inflated tow ratings your good legally so...

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015
When I read the autoblog piece last night I went to TBN to see what folks were saying about it. Because TBN is generally pretty level headed and practical on mechanical things. Did a search using the terms Ram, SAE, Towing. Didn't turn up anything. So sent in the simple post. If I had seen the other post first would not have. I found it interesting because it is the first time I have seen a statement of pickup towing capability according to something other than whatever the manufacturer decided to say.

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #8  
Its a marketing gimmik just like the Hemi and cms crap. I say this and I own a Jeep with a Hemi.

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #9  

Your statement is illogical

/ Ram Pickup SAE Towing Ratings 2015 #10  
toyota follows the same standards and has for 2-3 years. that being said ford was supposed to adopt it, but wanted to wait for the redesign in 2015. we'll see what happens