Rakin' rocks?

/ Rakin' rocks? #1  

stephan

Silver Member
Tractor
Lamborghini 450 Runner, SAME Tiger 70, Kioti CS2610
Rakin\' rocks?

All,

I'm thinking of getting a rake to remove some of the rocks I've got and am wondering what is available to use and advice in the use of this attachment. I'm keen to see pictures of the attachment and pictures of it in use. My rocks are about the size of tennis balls and are generally just below the surface. I want to limit this to just 3PL attachments as I don't have a loader and don't want to buy something specialized. I've heard potato harvesters are good but that would be well out of my budget.

/ Rakin' rocks? #2  
Re: Rakin\' rocks?

I've had good luck with a landscape rake, sometimes called a rock rake, but I don't think it's actually designed for rocks. To use this for your rocks, you would adjust the top link so that the tines would dig into the ground, grabbing the rocks and gathering them up. I don't have an action shot, but here's one of it on my tractor this spring. This rake can also be used for leveling front or back. After raking debris and "stuff" you can turn it around and use the tines backwards, dragging around and around filling low spots and making a smooth surface. These rakes are pretty reasonably priced as well. Another option is a box blade with rippers as the rippers are a little more heavy duty, but spread wider apart then the landscape rake tines. You would put the rippers down with an aggressive setting on the top link to where the rear blade "just" skimmed along gathering what the rippers uncover. You'll probably have to make multiple passes with either, but they'll do the job. John
Lanscape rake

/ Rakin' rocks? #3  
   / Rakin' rocks? #4  

Derek, thanks for the great pics, but you want to tell us something about the implement? What is it's name? Thanks, John

/ Rakin' rocks? #5  

Ooopps! I was typing the post while the coffee was brewing /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Its a T series Harley Rake (mine is 8'), made by Glenmac Inc. .

Basically the roller turns against the forward movement of the tractor. It kicks debris knocking of the dirt. Its lets the "cleaned" dirt filter behind the barrier. The barrier is above the roller and is adjustable.

If you do a search in the forums you'll find lots of info.

/ Rakin' rocks? #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you do a search in the forums you'll find lots of info. )</font>
I thought that must be what it is. I have seen pics of them before but wasn't sure. Like you said, not the cheapest alternative! But it sure seems it works. John

/ Rakin' rocks?

What sort of price, if you don't mind me asking?

/ Rakin' rocks? #8  

I think it was in the mid $4000. I don't have my bill of sale in front of me.

Now that I think about it it maybe a bit more. I'll try and find the bill of sale.

/ Rakin' rocks?

Don't go to too much trouble there is already one to many 0's on that number for me at the moment. These "York" rakes or landscape rakes look like the go. I assume you sink the tines a little into the ground and then just drive along slowly. Would angleing the rake cause the rocks to roll out the end and not fill the rake?

Can someone tell me if root rakes for a grader blade are effective and would they work for rocks?