Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,771  
ALCo PA in the Columbia River Gorge

Bruce

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,772  
ALCo PA in the Columbia River Gorge

Bruce
What's that third locomotive? Nickel Plate Road? I thought that was just history.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,773  

Nickel Plate Road No. 190

"On March 2, 2023, it was announced that NKP 190 has been sold to Genesee Valley Transportation Company, Inc. (GVT Rail System) for final restoration and excursion train operations on their Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad Company, Inc. The locomotive was projected to make the cross-country journey from Portland, OR to Scranton, PA in the spring of 2023. The move returns the former Delaware & Hudson PA type No. 18 to home rails for the first time in more than four decades."

Bruce

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,774  
Some railroad stories that are family legends: About 1930 Mom was a starving college student. She worked summers as a helper to wealthy families at their summer homes, where they hosted endless social events.

At Lake Tahoe one summer. Then one summer at Keddie, high in the Sierra Nevada range, where she assisted the wife of the chief railroad engineer who was building the Keddie Wye. This added a route north to Oregon and Seattle, to Western Pacific's West to East route over the Sierras. She had expected that the remote location would mean just helping with the family. But no, that family hosted railroad celebrities all summer long who came to see this marvelous engineering project.

She told us Dad's father, too, her future father in law, had worked as a surveyor on the original west/east route over the Sierras that had opened in 1909.

I grew up a mile from Western Pacific's Sacramento roundhouse, active back then. Warm nights with windows open we could hear the crashing of railcars shunted in the switchyard south of there, as east/west trains were broken up to make north/south runs. Today the WP roundhouse site is a new subdivision.

840i4o589kfjk86829408439856.jpg

trains-in-feather-river-canyon-at-keddie-wye.jpg

Western-Pacific-1910-arrival.jpg

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,775  
While it is a short jaunt from Duluth, MN to Superior, WI today, it was quite the process prior to April 23, 1987. Before the original Interstate Bridge connected the two cities travel required a ferry - something that was impossible to operate in the winter. The bridge connected Connor's Point in Wisconsin and Rice's Point in Minnesota. Rice's Point today is a popular spot to watch trains.
337398070_1446881935844819_5281193786186507620_n.jpg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,777  
What a balancing act!
A large construction crane sits on a partially constructed railroad trestle; can you spot the tunnel visible in the background?
This was the Pacific Coast Extension of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad through Montana and Idaho. It shows the erection of the Clear Creek bridge or viaduct along Loop Creek in Shoshone County, Idaho, close to the Montana border. It probably was photographed by Harry English, sometime between 1908 and 1911.View attachment 797253
That's now a bike trail. I'm not much of a cyclist but rented a bike and rode that about 7-10 years ago.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,779  
Slash, I just had to add this:

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,780