Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#3,472  
This is where those ore cars move pellets down from. We lived in the Gogebic range for 7 years but all those mines were hematite which is no longer mined. Under Montreal WI is the largest known formation of hematite in the world and those shafts descended to around a mile.
1712533082097.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,473  
So Arly I’m going to show my ignorance and let you tell me if this is correct. They mine an ore, I assume it looks like rocks. The process this material and end up with iron ore pellets. Does this sound correct? Strip mines or underground mines?

#3,474  
So Arly I’m going to show my ignorance and let you tell me if this is correct. They mine an ore, I assume it looks like rocks. The process this material and end up with iron ore pellets. Does this sound correct? Strip mines or underground mines?
Hematite was mined and they did that underground, crushed it, graded it, and sent it to the steel mills. Yes that is a red hard rock. But the mines got deeper and deeper and more costly so companies and the state of MN figured out how to process lower grade taconite which was near the surface and was 20 to 30% iron and made that into pellets. Taking out the impurities was really a BIG deal. That is over simplified. These mines are many square miles and run 200 or 300 ton trucks.
tacUPTRLQ.jpg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,475  
didn't steel mills have to be retrofitted to process taconite pellets into steel vs a purer ore
like hematite or magnetite?

#3,476  
didn't steel mills have to be retrofitted to process taconite pellets into steel vs a purer ore
like hematite or magnetite?
I can't recall exactly how but seems they did. Crushed hematite % would seem to be an inexact process while pellets can be made exactly what you want.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,478  
Rode on Klondike Katie recently at Dollywood. It's a 2-8-2 narrow gauge coal burner I believe used in Alaska during WW2. Apologize no pics. Was pretty neat when engineer laid on the horn in a valley the echoing was cool.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,479  
Around here once the tracks etc. are removed they are gone forever. Often turned into bike/walking paths.
A good rail system just seems so efficient.

#3,480  
A Missabe and Northern ore car on display at the museum in Duluth, MN. Photo taken 2018 Get a look at those trucks build! Similar to the copper ore cars seen here. Looks like the year built was 1906?.
434861662_379570158379170_1298204503695140515_n.jpg