Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,252  
There was a post above saying if you show up at a scrap dealer with RR stuff they call the cops.
Yeah, I’m not suggesting I go steal it or anything :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #3,253  
East Penn busy here on the home front replacing ties and leveling ballast

1700695489849.jpeg

1700695204398.jpeg

1700722740456.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #3,254  
On the abandoned rails I walk on around here, there’s a few spots with thousands of feet of long sections of rail just laying there. Can‘t believe nobody will retrieve them.
I think I recall you posting some of those pics a while back. You'd think there would be some value in them, if nothing, for scrap. There was a spur here in town that served Notre Dame and St. Mary's power plants for coal delivery. They stopped using the spur in the 80s because a bridge over our river needed extensive repairs, so they brought the coal by train into a yard on the SW side of town and trucked the coal the last 6 miles.

About 8-9 years ago they finally came in and pulled all of the old tracks and ties out. It took just a couple weeks to get all the old tracks up and out. They had some rough terrain loader with a grapple. It made short work of it.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,255  
I think I recall you posting some of those pics a while back. You'd think there would be some value in them, if nothing, for scrap. There was a spur here in town that served Notre Dame and St. Mary's power plants for coal delivery. They stopped using the spur in the 80s because a bridge over our river needed extensive repairs, so they brought the coal by train into a yard on the SW side of town and trucked the coal the last 6 miles.

About 8-9 years ago they finally came in and pulled all of the old tracks and ties out. It took just a couple weeks to get all the old tracks up and out. They had some rough terrain loader with a grapple. It made short work of it.

I think I come up with these ideas from my maternal grandfather. He saw value in things people would overlook. He did all kinds of “out of the box” thinking 99 out of 100 people wouldn’t ever think of. He recycled hundreds of Philadelphia electric postal trucks the city gave up on in the 50’s-70’s. Made lots of money recycling the aluminum bodies and batteries.

I could access that iron rail fairly easily. It’s between the Newlin Gristmill and the old Concordville Rail station very close to Wawa.
Just a matter of cutting back branches & small trees for about 1/2 mile then driving a tractor, chaining to 3 point, lifting 3 point like a log skidder and pulling them out to the Newlin Gristmill parking lot & loading on my trailer.

But then there’s the whole issue of who they belong to and how to start the process. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,256  
Seen lots of small shop anvils made from rail and very usable for small projects.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,258  
I think I come up with these ideas from my maternal grandfather. He saw value in things people would overlook. He did all kinds of “out of the box” thinking 99 out of 100 people wouldn’t ever think of. He recycled hundreds of Philadelphia electric postal trucks the city gave up on in the 50’s-70’s. Made lots of money recycling the aluminum bodies and batteries.

I could access that iron rail fairly easily. It’s between the Newlin Gristmill and the old Concordville Rail station very close to Wawa.
Just a matter of cutting back branches & small trees for about 1/2 mile then driving a tractor, chaining to 3 point, lifting 3 point like a log skidder and pulling them out to the Newlin Gristmill parking lot & loading on my trailer.

But then there’s the whole issue of who they belong to and how to start the process. :unsure::unsure::unsure:
Yep. My folks and their folks lived through the great depression. So pretty much anything had value. They passed that on to me. And now I have buckets of scrap wood, scrap metal, pile of scrap glass, etc. I may use it some day! 🙃

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,259  
Seen lots of small shop anvils made from rail and very usable for small projects.
I had an uncle that would take a piece of rail about a foot long, 4 upside down spikes for legs with heads facing forward for feet, one right side up spike for a tail, and an upside down hook, weld them all together, and whallah!

Weiner dog door stop!

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2018 CAT 308 HYDRAULIC EXCAVATOR SN:FJX10211 powered by Cat diesel engine, equipped with Cab, air, (A34907)
2018 CAT 308...
2004 KOBELCO SK160LC HYD EXCAVATOR, S/N YM03U0877, CAB, A/C, HOUR METER READS 5528 HRS, MECH THUMB, (A34808)
2004 KOBELCO...
Preliminary Listing / Full Catalog Coming Soon! (A34126)
Preliminary...
2007 Vermeer BC1000XL Towable Wood Chipper (A33249)
2007 Vermeer...
(2) 8'X8' METAL TANKS W/ WALK IN DOORS, NO FLOOR, SELLS OFFSITE PONTOTOC COUNTY, STONEWALL OK. BU... (A34808)
(2) 8'X8' METAL...
2006 MAXEY...18' T/A BUMPERPULL TRAILER , SLIDE IN RAMPS, (NO FLOOR) BILL OF SALE... (A34808)
2006 MAXEY...18'...