Radon pump install

/ Radon pump install #21  
Are the electronic monitors a dependable way of reading radon? Will they have consistent values for many years? Just wondering. :unsure:

/ Radon pump install #22  
Are the electronic monitors a dependable way of reading radon? Will they have consistent values for many years? Just wondering. :unsure:
The radon companies all install those liquid radon meters.

/ Radon pump install #23  
Bear in mind it was a few decades back that my father owned a company that did radon remediation, but at least back then, the chemical monitors were the only really reliable means of getting an accurate reading. The electronic meters had a relatively large error of measurement, by comparison.

Back then, the electronic meter was used as a first-check, to decide whether testing with a chemical tester was worth the time (they take days to weeks). They would also sometimes use the electronic meter to refute a result, if it was suspected the seller of a home was covering or moving the chemical tester, to hide a high result from the buyer. In other words, chemical can comes back reading 0.5, but electronic meter shows 12.0, a discrepancy outside the EOM. But they also had faster (also less accurate) chemical testers and would also sometimes even hide a second chemical tester, hidden from the homeowner without their knowledge to ensure an accurate result.

/ Radon pump install
I have been told the sensor is only good for about 3 years for the particular meter I have. I don't know how accurate that is though.

/ Radon pump install #25  
I have been told the sensor is only good for about 3 years for the particular meter I have. I don't know how accurate that is though.
I'll like to know... Google says 10 years. We have had ours for 5-7? years. Happy with this reading!!

Attachments

• IMG_20231123_113834362.jpg
    IMG_20231123_113834362.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
   / Radon pump install #26  
Our basement has always tested 3.8 - 4.1, with the recommended level for remediation being (classically, debatable) at 4.0. Since the first floor tests very low and the basement is not a primary living space, it's been a "we'll get to it someday" project for more than 12 years.

/ Radon pump install
Our basement has always tested 3.8 - 4.1, with the recommended level for remediation being (classically, debatable) at 4.0. Since the first floor tests very low and the basement is not a primary living space, it's been a "we'll get to it someday" project for more than 12 years.
The maximum safe levels declared in the US is 4.0, in EU it's 2.7. But I'm told a 1.0 is equal to 2 cigarettes a day, 4.0 would be 8 cigarettes a day. As I quit smoking, I'm going to be super pissed if I get lung cancer from radon.

While any amount of exposure to radon gas constitutes a health risk, your risks of contracting lung cancer decrease significantly as radon levels decrease. For example, a person living in a house with a radon level of 4.0 pCi/L or lower has an approximately 7 in 1000 chance of getting sick. On the other hand, a person living in a house with a radon level of 20 pCi/L or higher has a 36 in 1000 chance of contracting lung cancer. The World Health Organization (WHO) established an action level of 2.7 pCi/L based upon a three-year worldwide study by more than 30 prominent scientists.

/ Radon pump install #28  
Eight cigs a day is 8 too many. :rolleyes: