Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere

/ Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hey All,

I don't know about anyone else on the forum, but here in East Central Illinois there seems to be a rabbit population explosion this year. In 21 years on this property I've never see close to as many as we have this year. I suppose it could be due to a drop in coyote population but I don't know. My coworker who lives about 70 mile west of me mentioned the same thing so I'm thinking mild weather has allowed them to flourish. My Shepherd has been having a field day, evidently they're pretty tasty at 1-2 weeks of age.

He tried to bring a live one with him to his kennel one particular morning when I asked him to "kennel up" before I left for work. He dropped it when I told him to and it looked healthy, very young with eyes closed. I called my 9 year old son and his mother out and told them he could keep it if he wanted to. He and my wife went to the pet store and got powdered goats milk and nursed that rabbit for weeks, adding in clover to his diet. Unfortunately they, or we, neglected to read about a baby rabbits diet. My wife, although not a animal lover except on a plate or in a pot, became very attached to "Peter" the rabbit. At about 6 or 7 weeks old that rabbit would come to her when called.

Peter the rabbit died very suddenly, we expect from too much iceberg lettuce and carrots and not enough fiber. Jena, my wife actually took his passing much harder than my son. He's gotten pretty used to animal death especially after watching the butchering 2 of his chickens recently.

Well, thanks to the rabbit population explosion "Peter the rabbit 2" is doing well. Much studying has taken place and rabbit pellets have been purchased. We'll see how long this one makes it, he's not as old as the first one yet.

Kevin

/ Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere #2  
We are the opposite. Hardly any rabbits.

But - coyotes, foxes and hawks are present and active.

We have plenty of squirrels. I would think the predators like squirrels as much as rabbits. Maybe not?

MoKelly

/ Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere #3  
This year we are seeing very few Black Tail Hares (Jack rabbits) as they are being decimated by a very transmittable disease known as Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease. Normally I would see several every day, now its weeks to months to see even one.

/ Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere #4  
We're seeing the same rabbit explosion although we just had one of the harshest winters ever so I'm not sure weather is a factor. We sit on the back porch each night and it's not unusual to see 4-6 at any given time all across the pasture and yard. My guess is whatever was eating all the rabbits isn't any more for whatever reason.

/ Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere #6  
Our local rabbit level is low this year. It goes up and down, along with the predator population lagging just a bit.

Speaking of which, was walking with my son and grandson, i was lagging just a bit behind, when my son says, "oh look, a squirrel chasing a rabbit", i stepped around to see better and it was a weasel chasing the rabbit. A successful hunt for the weasel, my grandson wanted to get closer to see better but i told him no and lifted him up to get a better look. My grandson says, 'kinda sad for the rabbit, but the weasel and babies will have a better chance to survive.' Paraphrased.

/ Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere #7  
If Mankind had followed that advice, we would still be banging rocks together in a cave in the Neanderthal valley somewhere.
No not correct. Obviously, we'd be using fusion for clean energy and be on the other planets. If we had the knowledge and wisdom to understand our impact on our environment, we be better equipped to make better decisions. Environment isn't just the green stuff, it's all of it, including how we are living in it. Besides, i'd be SOL banging rocks together, only rocks i have on my place were brought in for the road.

/ Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere #9  
Almost mowed this little guy yesterday. He lives in our logic shelter where our implements are stored. Life span here is short for a bunny with all the predators lurking about.

/ Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere #10  
I see one cottontail about two or three times every summer. Down at the far end of the driveway. Same rabbit - who knows. We have mainly "unfriendlies" around here. So a rabbits lifespan could be very short.