R3644, Broke the PTO. Looking for repair guidance.

/ R3644, Broke the PTO. Looking for repair guidance. #31  
Ok, so the rubber cap is not only rubber. I could see metal when I tore it and now that I finally have the new one I can see it clearly inside and out. It is metal with a rubber coating on the outside. It is a very tight fit and doesn't appear to have any notches or anything to grab onto so I'm (almost) at a loss at how to remove it.
That snap ring next to the cap appears to be holding the shaft/bearing from going backwards so tapping the shaft backwards (in hopes of popping the cap out) from the inside seems like a no-go?!?

Ok Benny......if you still with me just pierce the cap with a ice pick and if you have a screw knocker (body and fender dent remover ) just screw it into the discardable plug and knock it out backward.
if you dont have the screw knocker just use very sharp flat blade screwdrivers. to pierce the plug and pry it out. Another cannibal method is to drill a hole and install a large fencing screw in the center and just screw it into the plug until it (screw) touches off the shaft and drives out the plug by reverse pressure.

reinstalling these plugs some use waterless grease some use the old slimey permatex and brush. and if their old mechanics they will have the old freeze plug tool that best matches the size of the plug and they just hammer it in until it seats....it kinda a pain your first plug but after you balance them they pop right in. tools can be built of a fender washer and carriage bolt head welded to form a flat driver
all for now benny........Happy Turkey Day .

/ R3644, Broke the PTO. Looking for repair guidance.
Just wanted to say that this repair went well. Big shoutout out to Spokane1 for your encouragement and guidance!!!

The only thing I noticed after the repair is that the PTO now only operates on manual. (There is a switch with 2 options; "manual", which runs the pto all the time, and then "independent", which runs the pto until you push in the clutch. For whatever reason, the "independent" doesn't work anymore.

I'm not too bothered by this because I've never found a use for this option...although I am curious if anyone can enlighten me as to the intended use of this option???

/ R3644, Broke the PTO. Looking for repair guidance. #33  
Just wanted to say that this repair went well. Big shoutout out to Spokane1 for your encouragement and guidance!!!

The only thing I noticed after the repair is that the PTO now only operates on manual. (There is a switch with 2 options; "manual", which runs the pto all the time, and then "independent", which runs the pto until you push in the clutch. For whatever reason, the "independent" doesn't work anymore.

I'm not too bothered by this because I've never found a use for this option...although I am curious if anyone can enlighten me as to the intended use of this option???

Did ya freeze over the winter Benny?

good job...hey if you get somemore tractors you could really become a savy Tranny dude!

is your selector for manual and independent is this electric solenoid or a manual gear shift? Its quite possible you dint sew up the linkage or electric cables right.

Glad you saved your tractor.......but you learned a valuable lesson......don't EVER overwork a small tractor.......and """"""install a shear pin in the PTO shaft"""".

If the farms big enough to bust a Montana.........look for a bigger tractor! never grind the F-R gears.........Montana brand gears are soft in this shuttle pack.