qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #21  
The shift had nothing to do with how far the gate was open. The gravel stuck in one giant mass then suddenly broke free and slid all at once.
Note this would not have unweighted the tow vehicle rear tires if the axles on the dump trailer were at the very rear like most large dump trailers.
Being a "bumper pull" (hate that term) there is considerable overhang behind the axles. Place a couple of tons behind the axles and it results in negative tongue weight.

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #22  
If it isnt welded solid or is left open-ended...then yes.

But speaking of "tubing", look at cranes that use tubing.

Or even boom trucks that use tubing. Or our loader frames. Heck, even the old pipe loader frames from the 1950's fords:thumbsup:

I've seen massive radio towers built with tubing legs rust out from the inside with a resulting collapse. Many towers now use solid steel legs with a smaller diameter to avoid this.

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #23  
I had a 10' EZ Dumper UDT for around 12 years. It had a single cylinder under the bed with gravity down. The design of the trailer with the cylinder was very poor in my opinion. The cylinder would push towards the front of the dump box and would actually flex the front of the trailer. It struggled to get it started up, it was rated to hold 4 ton of material but if you put more then 3 ton in it evenly you would be shoveling the front off by hand to get it to lift. The gravity down feature was ok. In the winter time it would take forever to lower because of how the hydraulic fluid flows when cold. I also had to keep spraying the cylinder with a lubricant every couple months or else the seal would dry up and cause the cylinder to not want to lower on its own. It wasn't a huge issue as all you needed to do was put a ratching strap between the dump box and the trailer and give it tension and once it got to a certain point it would continue on its own.

The inside of the box wore out in a few spots and I had to patch it up. But it took about 10 years before the brace on the back of it rusted out enough to cause me problems. At that point we decided the trailer didn't owe us anything and we decided to replace it with a better trailer more suited for our uses. So I sold it off to a friend of mine who had been borrowing it numerous times. He knew the history of it and the problems and made us an offer which we accepted without question and he was happy and so was I. Went out and bought a 14' PJ ultra low profile dump with scissor lift and ramps. I have not hauled anything yet to really test the capacity but so far I have not seen any faults with the scissor lift and power down other then if your battery dies when the bed is up and you let it lower by gravity the valve doesn't open and you will overflow the hydraulic tank. But we use our trailers year round so gravity down was a feature I wanted for winter time.

I have hauled my 1920 in the trailer and didn't have any issues with loading/unloading. Just block the trailer tires and you will be fine.

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #24  
I have to agree with DiamondPilot - stay away from box tubing trailers if you are looking for long life. I live in Ontario and there is a lot of salt on the roads in the winter. I had a JDJ dump trailer that was all made of box tubing and in 8 years there was a lot of rot and holes in the tubing from the inside. The final straw was when I got a load a third of the way up and one of the rear pivot points failed because the hollow tube it was welded to let go due to rust.

I traded that trailer for a Moritz dumper that is all C-channel on the dump box a couple of years ago and an much happier. I take the Moritz each year to the same rust proofing place as my truck and have them both sprayed. Doing this with the JDJ would have been a nightmare as there were lots of closed box section one would have to drill to get the rust proofing material in and even then you can't see that the whole cavity is coated. With the C-channel, you can clearly see the entire structural member.

The main frame rails of the Moritz are large hollow tubing but there are holes in them for the wiring harness and the brakes so I have the inside of them sprayed to ensure they maintain their structural strength.

The Moritz is power down but the JDJ was gravity down and I only had a problem once when I waited too long to grease the trailer pivot points. Once I greased it, gravity started to work again.

I hauled a lot of dirt and other material with the JDJ so it didn't owe me anything but I would not buy another trailer made with box section tubing.

Regards,

Lauren

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #25  
Has anyone ever used a dual axle dump trailer to haul a tractor with? Could this be done regularly, to avoid. Having two trailers.

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #26  
My neighbors skid lives in the dump trailer after many year and loads no problems

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #27  
WilliamBos said:
Has anyone ever used a dual axle dump trailer to haul a tractor with? Could this be done regularly, to avoid. Having two trailers.

Yes, I hauled my 1920 and a bobcat 331 in mine.

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #28  
My neighbors skid lives in the dump trailer after many year and loads no problems

Yes, I hauled my 1920 and a bobcat 331 in mine.

Thanks guys. Would love a dumptrailer. And wondered if hauling the 1635 (3,527 pounds) was something that could be done regularly.

Would make justifying the cost easier with multiple uses.

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #29  
WilliamBos said:
Thanks guys. Would love a dumptrailer. And wondered if hauling the 1635 (3,527 pounds) was something that could be done regularly.

Would make justifying the cost easier with multiple uses.

ForumRunner_20120505_191353.png

/ qustion for diamonpilot and others re dump trailers #30  

My uncle does with his. Its not ideal but it works.

Chris